Grown dogs and kittens

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
This is a side branch from Donner or Manila pregnant so you might want to read that. The reason that my mother wants to get Manila pregnant rather than getting a kitten from some were else is because we have dogs and Blitz and Donner were afraid of them there for at night when they went out of the tent they could not go back in so they slept in the forest and because snake food
so she is hoping that Manila will teach her kittens to not be afraid of the dogs and yes Manila is not afraid of the dogs since she was here before Apollo (our first dog) and when he came here he was small then her and how when Manila is in heat she try’s to get him to mate her but now he is how knows how many times bigger then her. So will it work? Should we introduce them before the kittens have their eyes open? Or not? Should we put dog fur in the nest?etc

If the dog won't chase the cats, and is fairly gentle, then kittens will get used to him. I would introduce them when the kittens are on their feet and have open eyes and sticking up tails, that is usually the age they like exploring and are prepared to learn about life. The dog has to be gentle tho, do not let him snap or chase. If you can get him to lay down and let them crawl around him and even on him, while you pet him and tell him what a good boy he is, that is usually a sure fire winner. Some dogs like cats, and they are the best at this. My cat will tolerate the dogs, but if they are agressive he will slap and then run away and hide--he was not raised with them. My old cat was raised with them and he would sleep with the dog in his bed--here it is cold, and they liked the warmth.

Apollo is not really gentle but Rusty our second dog is and she has had puppies so if we introduce it right she might be motherly to them.

Latest posts

Back