Growing Okra for Rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I did a search and it looks like we have not yet discussed the feeding of okra to rabbits.

Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) appears on the "safe" list but (at least on mine) it does not mention parts. I found information on feedipedia and it seems that the leaves and pods are good sources of protein (leaves are 23% protein). But, as anyone who has grown okra can attest -- the leaves are covered in hairs and one can get a contact dermatitis from the leaves.

So, I'm wondering whether it is something rabbits would eat? Perhaps as a dried material? Anyone tried it? :popcorn:

I am on a gardening forum as well and apparently rabbits (and deer) will eat the young leaves of Okra plants as well as the pods. I don't see why domestic rabbits would be any different so give it a try.

My rabbits didn't have any problems after they ate the Okra. I fed the the leaves and stem. They ate the leaves and used the stem to nibble on like they would a piece of wood. I had four plants about 5 feet tall and gave all of it to them over the fall, not all at once of course.

Very nice growth. I'm surprised that it grows that well so close together. I've always had to have mine separated by a few feet. What's your secret? And don't say bunny droppings.

mystang89":x79hwwwu said:
Very nice growth. I'm surprised that it grows that well so close together. I've always had to have mine separated by a few feet. What's your secret? And don't say bunny droppings.

Actually, I didn't have rabbits at the time, so nope rabbit poop wasn't the secret. I really don't know what to accredit the success with. I mulched it with grass clippings and I think I made a grass clipping compost tea to feed it once. I garden organically. It was hard to harvest with it that thick so I will definitely be spacing it further for the next crop (I didn't have a successful year last year with drought and family crisis mess) but it did seem to like the "forest" like micro-climate. Frogs liked it, too! It was not unusual to part leaves and come face-to-face with a little tree frog hangin' out on an okra leaf. Co-workers saw this pic and others like it and teased me that I was really growing Weed. Several of my co-workers are the wives of deputy sheriffs and so I got a lot of "I might have to have my husband come around and check that field of yours".... :x

Latest posts

Back