Greetings from Xenia Ohio!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinD

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new around here. Still in the planning phase for starting my little Rabbitry. Primarily interested in meat rabbits, but wouldn't mind a breed that could also show. I've read Storey's guide and Rabbit Production (9th edition) and have a working plan for the hutches but have been trolling this forum for a long time for inspiration and insight. Finally moved into my first home with ~acre of backyard (fully privacy fenced) so I'd like to get started in the spring. Havent sourced any breeders yet (not sure of $$ or breed) but have taken a look at the registered list on ARBA. Any and all insight would be appreciated (especially those with experience raising in ohio). Thanks!

Hello from Ohio as well! I'm over toward Pittsburgh PA. On paper there is tons of rabbits in the state but I've had trouble finding breeders close enough to me. And I'd prefer not to go to a show and chance bringing home a rabbit plus illness. If you can visit a show and meet people you will probably have better luck than me, and you're closer to bigger cities.

I've had alot of different breeds but it really comes down to meat rabbits for me. Not particular on breed if they actually breed reliably.

Not in Ohio, but in Ontario. Just want to say welcome. If you can find out what district you are in for ARBA shows you can probably find the district page (hopefully with links to rabbit clubs). Get involved with a club and find breeders to help you out. :)

Welcome to you both, it is great thinking to lurk, learn and cherry pick ideas for your setup.
I started with crossed breed meat rabbits and had some great ones. It can be fun to see what colors, and patterns will pop up in the nest box.
Then I fell in total love with American Chinchillas. They are a meat breed that can be shown. They usually need a LOT of improvement... at least where I live in the Western Oregon.

Things I learned, some the hard way. Have the floor of your cage at least 34 or more inches above the ground. It will help protect against predators. Nothing is perfect, but this does give them a chance.
If you do have dogs, this can help a lot to keep problems away or at least to give warning.
I build a structure that I hang my cages in.

Hanging cages are easy to remove and burn off hair and pressure wash for cleaning. A hutch that is all one structure is fine but it isn't as easy to deal with.

Keep it light, I've used 2x2's or actually 2x4's cut in half to build the legs with bracing on the sides and a roof. This can be moved with two people to clean it or around it. Useful in the long run
I will try to get pictures and post them later.

Think of ventilation in the summer and blocking wind, snow, rain ect in the winter. I use removable pieces of roofing to place in winter and remove in summer.
Okay, too much for now!
Hope you find it as rewarding as I do. Love my bunnies, and they are tasty too.

The bunnies here are English angora and are primarily raised for their wool. Our profit from rabbits is mostly from selling yarn. There's also some income from animal sales, although the yarn makes more since they aren't bred all that much so we have more yarn to sell than baby bunnies. Usually about four to maybe eight litters a year, so there's not a whole lot of offspring to sell. The buns are only about six pounds each, so they don't have ginormous litters like some of the meat breeds. As a semi-exotic rabbit, they do sell for more than a meat bun but there's less buyers since most of them go to folks who want them for the fiber production. At least, the folks who buy the rabbit and keep it and keep it healthy are the ones who get the rabbit for fiber production. Any time they're sold as a pet, it generally doesn't end well.

There's also money in the small pet breeds, especially if you sell directly to the customer. Of course, you get an entirely different customer who wants a pet bunny than someone looking to invite a rabbit to dinner.

Angoras can also be eaten, although they generally develop slower since they're busy growing wool all the time so they may not still be tender when they get big enough to eat. But, there's always stew.

Hey all, I'm new around here. Still in the planning phase for starting my little Rabbitry. Primarily interested in meat rabbits, but wouldn't mind a breed that could also show. I've read Storey's guide and Rabbit Production (9th edition) and have a working plan for the hutches but have been trolling this forum for a long time for inspiration and insight. Finally moved into my first home with ~acre of backyard (fully privacy fenced) so I'd like to get started in the spring. Havent sourced any breeders yet (not sure of $$ or breed) but have taken a look at the registered list on ARBA. Any and all insight would be appreciated (especially those with experience raising in ohio). Thanks!

Howdy! The planning phase can be exciting! Hope you find some great rabbits to start with.

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Kevin.
Nice to have you here!
I think it was a good idea to join while you're still in the planning phase.
Congrats on your first home. Happy new year!

Welcome to you both, it is great thinking to lurk, learn and cherry pick ideas for your setup.
I started with crossed breed meat rabbits and had some great ones. It can be fun to see what colors, and patterns will pop up in the nest box.
Then I fell in total love with American Chinchillas. They are a meat breed that can be shown. They usually need a LOT of improvement... at least where I live in the Western Oregon.

Things I learned, some the hard way. Have the floor of your cage at least 34 or more inches above the ground. It will help protect against predators. Nothing is perfect, but this does give them a chance.
If you do have dogs, this can help a lot to keep problems away or at least to give warning.
I build a structure that I hang my cages in.

Hanging cages are easy to remove and burn off hair and pressure wash for cleaning. A hutch that is all one structure is fine but it isn't as easy to deal with.

Keep it light, I've used 2x2's or actually 2x4's cut in half to build the legs with bracing on the sides and a roof. This can be moved with two people to clean it or around it. Useful in the long run
I will try to get pictures and post them later.

Think of ventilation in the summer and blocking wind, snow, rain ect in the winter. I use removable pieces of roofing to place in winter and remove in summer.
Okay, too much for now!
Hope you find it as rewarding as I do. Love my bunnies, and they are tasty too.
We like chinchillas too. We don’t plan on raising anything else at this point….though I guess you never know what will happen in the long run. Our chinchilla’s calm temperament fits well with our semi-outdoor-pasture-based set-up, and the kits are so cute! (all kits are cute, but the young chinchillas look like little pikas running around our backyard.😂)

Back