Grains vs Pellets: What, When and Why

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhodgejr

Reaction score
So i'm reading that a lot of individuals feed their rabbits grains, then I see other posts where people are discussing feeding their rabbits pellets. My rabbits are free fed hay (clover/grass mix usually) and get on average an ounce of pellets per pound of weight a day. Mine usually don't get any fresh greens unless i'm out in the yard and pick a few dandelions.

So my main question is, when or why would I want to feed my rabbits grain (rolled oats/barely/etc)? Is it only for those people who are feeding their rabbits a natural diet? Could I switch my rabbits to grains versus pellets, and why would I want too? Is it more economical than pellets?

Thanks!

-Mike

I think most people who are feeding grain are feeding a natural diet of hay/greens/grain. I went to natural feeding because the choice of pellets nearby was very limited and I found out that the brand I had been using contained animal tallow. Since I had an alfalfa patch and acreage for gathering greens, it made sense to switch to natural feeding. It is only practical if you have a small rabbitry... gathering greens takes time.

If you can do it, go for it.
For some people grains are actually cheaper than pellets.
For me, with 40 plus rabbits, I don't have enough land to support that many rabbits, what would I do in the winter, lack of time if I could gather that much, and what little I can get for grains (only oats really) is as much as or more expensive than pellets. Not to mention what might happen to show rabbits coats. Weigh all of those factors, and if you can, go natural.

first of all it depends on what you are doing with the rabbits. show, meat or fur ,,, If you want the fryers to reach the 5 pound mark in a hurry. grains will not cut it. .. If it is for meat and your own use. Then go for it. For show and fur. Not a good idea.

Back