Grade 3 Laceration

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbito

Reaction score
Hello my rabbit had an unfortunate incident today and cut himself under the sofa. Upon looking at the wound I realized that it was very deep and big (across his right side) and rushed to take him to a vet. In my area theres only one vet that looks at rabbits and they charged me $200 just to look at it and wanted $2000 to do some stitching. I can not afford that and I saw a post from a while back that mentioned using saline and other products. As of now I disinfected it and tried to cover it up with some guaze but he keeps getting out of it. What can I covered it with because he keeps licking it and what should I do? Need all the advice you can give me because he basically has a huge hole in his body now and theres nowhere for me to take him too so I have to wait until tomorrow. Thank you. Just would like to follow up that he seems fine and is eating and moving like normal but the laceration is just too big for me to ignore.

Merck's veterinary manual has an online version. https://www.merckvetmanual.com/

Many feed stores have penicillin available, should you need a serious antibiotic. It needs to be injected, though. They should also have Betadine and other supplies for treating wounds. FWIW, Super Glue was originally made as a surgical tool, if you don't get it into the wound itself, you can use that to bond the skin together. Vet wrap is more likely to be helpful to get the wound covered than only gauze. But, you'll still want to put a layer of gauze on it.

I'm not a vet, I don't even play one on TV, but if it were my rabbit, I'd clean the wound (which you've already done), put triple antibiotic on it, pull the edges together and either stitch them or try tacking it together in a few spots with SuperGlue and then cover with gauze and then vet wrap. With a deep puncture wound, you want to leave a way for it to drain if necessary so don't entirely close the wound.

Keep the rabbit contained in a smaller area and as quiet as possible. Lots of water available, as much feed as they want.

When I used to sail on boats, the basic medical procedures were "start the breathing, stop the bleeding and make them lay down". That worked for a lot of things and should work on rabbits, too.

Latest posts

Back