Good reading for selecting for meat type?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PulpFaction

Reaction score
I would like to start working towards a meatier type on my little Thriantas. Seems like the rabbits with the best compact type are the ones winning, even though there are actually more points on color in this breed.

PLUS, I want to make eating the culls more worth-while.

I would like to get to that point that I more or less have a rabbit with the body type of a Florida White with the deep red color and lovely roll-back coat of the Thrianta. (Breeding to FW's kills the coat and color, however.) SO, any literature on selecting from existing stock for meat qualities would be appreciated.

Rachel,
I would think a copy of "The Standard of Perfection" put out by A.R.B.A.
would give you all the stats that you may need.
Perhaps you can borrow a copy from your local library or a Breeder friend.
DO NOT purchase yet as the new copy will be coming out soon.
Dennis, C.V.R.

not sure where to send you for that information.

I think the best thing you can do is continually monitor your rabbits and select for the qualities you want. Bigger hind ends, meatiness throughout, and that meat look to them.

Its probably a really bad idea, 'cause I don't show and never have so I don't know anything, but I wonder what would happen if you introduced NZ reds to your lines?

They have some of the rufous like Thriantas, and so the color at least wouldn't be hurt. Sheen might go down...but meatiness couldn't help but go up. I was actually wondering about mixing a little Thrianta blood into my (tiny, inexperienced, and unproven rabbitry) NZ reds to get some of the coat qualities on a NZ body. However, since I don't know of anyone breeding Thriantas in my area, I guess that will stay in the realm of theoretical for quite a while!

I think if you aren't planning on any outcrosses, that yes, simply picking the broadest butts and the fastest gainers as your new breeders would be the best plan. Obviously the SOP will help you define your goals.

Also, record keeping in any breeding program is totally important--I may be new to rabbit breeding but not to breeding animals in general, and having objective markers like weaning weights, litter sizes, and even dress-out information from siblings neatly organized and at your finger tips is more valuable than almost anything. Write it down, and organize it so you can use it, you can never have too much information!

These threads might help too, if you haven't already seen them:
selecting-for-meat-type-t1096.html
non-color-genetics-t1075.html

Either you have to work with the rabbits within the breed or out-cross. As a former show breeder, I can tell you that out-crossing usually takes a number of years to produce a consistently good offspring. You may get something close in the F2 generation, only to have it fall all to pieces when you back-cross. If you have a lot of time and a few extra pens, though, it is a satisfying endeavor. It is a help to know what rabbits the breed was developed from. It might also help to look around for another who may already be trying to breed red into Florida whites and already has some red, still, you need to commit to the long haul if you expect to succeed. The great thing about out-crossing, is that gives some genetic differentiation into a breed that is likely fairly inbred,providing health and vitality in the line.

If you can find compact examples of one of the forerunners of the breed, they may cause less other variability when crossed.

I want to avoid out-crossing. I would have to have NZR shipped up from out of state, anyway, since there are none in Alaska to my knowledge. If I'm going to ship rabbits up, I'd rather ship up Thriantas from out-of-state lines!

I guess I've been reading a lot of good literature on selecting poultry for desired traits, and I was just hoping there was something similar for rabbits. Something that outlines which traits are the most important to select for first (the ones that are hardest to set, for example) and WHY certain things in the SOP are the way they are. I haven't butchered any of my Thriantas, so I'm having trouble envisioning how their type flaws on the show table will translate to a poor fryer in the freezer. Maybe a pictorial, showing rabbits with poor type pre- and post-butchering vs. rabbits with good type pre- and post-butchering.

That would be very useful for me.

But regarding cross-breeding, it's absolutely not something I'm interested in. I'm wanting to learn to work towards a goal with what I have available to me.

Latest posts

Back