Going to a Rabbit Show but not showing.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Rabbitry

gracefulrabbits
Reaction score
So I am going to a rabbit show but not bringing any rabbits, how does that work and do I have to pay to get in? Do I have to wait in the line for people signing for their rabbits?

So I am going to a rabbit show but not bringing any rabbits, how does that work and do I have to pay to get in? Do I have to wait in the line for people signing for their rabbits?
Unless some particular club has their own quirks - like maybe using a venue that charges for entry - if you're just going to observe, you shouldn't have to pay or wait in line.

Most clubs are glad to welcome newcomers/observers. Don't be put off if someone can't drop everything to talk with you, or has to dash off mid-conversation. Exhibitors are responsible to get their rabbits to the table when their breed is called, and off again when the variety/breed is done; since many shows have double or triple shows simultaneously, that can be pretty demanding. But do look for exhibitors sitting with their rabbits who would be willing to talk if you have questions.

Just standing on the opposite side of the judging table from the judge, and listening to what he/she says, can be extremely educational. Taking along a copy of the Standard of Perfection (SOP) so you can follow along with the breed or look up unfamiliar terms, is also very helpful. Do note that show etiquette dictates that no one should indicate which animal belongs to which exhibitor, so don't ask someone if a particular rabbit on the table is theirs. :)

Have a good time!

Thank you, I looking to possibly pick up a new rabbit. The showroom opened at 6:30 but starts at 8:30 what would be a good time to get there? I understand people have places to be and things to do at a show lol. Just wanting to spectate really. Will definitely bring a notepad and the SOP.

Thank you, I looking to possibly pick up a new rabbit. The showroom opened at 6:30 but starts at 8:30 what would be a good time to get there? I understand people have places to be and things to do at a show lol. Just wanting to spectate really. Will definitely bring a notepad and the SOP.
Anytime after 8:30 would probably be fine. Sometimes shows get going right on time, other times things happen to delay the start (e.g. last show up here one of the judge's flights was delayed, so we moved the start time back two hours).

Sometimes there's a lunch break, so if you arrive 11:30am-1pm-ish you might arrive during a lull in the action. That can be okay because people have more of a chance to talk, but you'll have to wait for judging to recommence.

In any case, unless it's a very small show, you'll probably have plenty of time to see judging without missing anything. Also, if there are two or three simultaneous shows, if you miss the judging of a breed of interest, you can probably catch it on the other table. Some shows post the order of judging, which can be helpful in planning if you especially want to watch a particular breed.

If possible, do try to listen to more than one judge discussing the same rabbits; it's amazing how different their judgments can be. I've had rabbits win Best of Breed on one table and 6th out of 6 (or even DQd) on the other. They all have different perspectives and opinions, which I have found are all valuable to hear.

Thank you very much, Im pretty sure it’s a fairly big show so should have time to catch the breeds I wanna see. The person I bought my rabbits from is judging so hoping to see his opinions and perspectives.

Hello again, just wondering when the shows usually end? Just wondering so I’ll have an idea of what time we’ll be home. :)
It really depends on how big the show is, how good the exhibitors are about getting their rabbits on and off the judging table, and how fast or slow the judges are (some spend more time chatting or talking about the rabbits in front of them).

Our last double show was about 230 rabbits. Our shows start at 9am and we cleaned up around 8pm, if I remember correctly

One the early entry deadline is passed and they have an idea of how many rabbits will be showing, you can ask the show secretary to give you an idea how late it will go. He/she won't be able to tell you for sure how long the show will last, but an experienced secretary should be able to give you a ballpark. Also, unless you are intent on seeing Best in Show awarded, if it's getting late, you can leave any time you want.

Back