Goats anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
I am selling off my goats. I have 2 Alpine does and 2 bucklings out of one of them. They were rescue goats and I just can't seem to do right by them. The bucks are doing fabulous, but the does have never gotten back to their former 'glory'. This was just too much for a first timer.

So, I found someone that will take them and the cash is going to go towards Mini Nubians. Any ideas on how old/big they need to be to breed? How much milk they produce? I have looked and looked, but can't find too much on the minis regarding any detailed info. Most of the info I find is on the big ones (which would have been my first choice).

P.S. As soon as I get them home, I will post pics.

They seem to be pretty new, as in the last few years and are a cross between a Nigerian dwarf and a regular Nubian. The most I could find was 4 th generation mini on the web. They seem pretty darn cute!! Perhaps there is more info through the mini nigerians?

I have looked and looked. I don't want to get them unless they can be bred this year. The woman on the phone that I bought them from had bought her does and buck as adults, so she wasn't completely sure, as she has always raised regular Nubians. I have been feeding these ferral (for lack of a better word) goats without any benefit, so I would prefer not to have to wait another 18 months to breed and another 5 to milk. Ugh. I'm really holding out hope that someday I will get to reap the benefits of owning a milk goat before the desire to give up gets the better of me!

You can breed them at 8 or 9 months as long as they are well-grown for their size. If they still look like a "kid", hold off a while longer. When were they born? If they were born in early spring, ie March, they should be just fine to breed in December. If they were born late spring, May-June, I'd hold off until next year.

Not sure how much milk they'd produce - that would depend on their genetic background. If the parents were from good milking stock, they should do well. I have a mini-Saanen that was giving me about 3/4 litre in the morning when separated from her kid at night. I'm sure if I pushed her and milked her seriously, I'd get at least 2 litres/day. Mind you, her mother is my best Saanen. :cool:

Well, quick turn around! I have decided not to get more goats for a while. I was talking to a friend and she talked some sense into me. Her and I are going to be hauling rabbits to California beginning in August, and she reminded me that DH was not going to want to milk the goats while we are gone, and that with my ever expanding rabbitry, the time put into milking would best be placed elsewhere. Sooooo, this is one less project to sink my time into.

I will, someday, have milk goats! It just doesn't look like it will be any time soon. I'm sort of ok with that.

sometimes patience really is a virtue

:)

sounds like the best plan for you right now for sure

hang in there

Back