Goat kid foaming from mouth and nose after pellets.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So my little 1.5month old (I've been told) Dwarf Pygmy Nubian/Lamancha cross. Mom is a Pygmy Nubian and Dad is Lamancha/Nubian. They've been eating pellets fine since about 2weeks old. Last week she was eating and kinda started coughing/choking, strained to pee and then started screaming, I thought she was screaming cause I separated her and her brother from their mom (they're the smallest goats so they get bullied during feeding) I opened the door and she went out, squatted and strained and screamed again, I didn't know what to do so I stuck my finger down her throat to check for feed stuck in her throat, next thing I know foam is coming out of her mouth so I took her to the water bowl and I used my hand to wipe her face. I took her up and we called the vet and they essentially said give her baking soda and call us back with how that goes. Well baking soda nearly immediately helped. Her stomach started gurgling and she was chewing her cud. At that time they had free access to hay but since then my hay contact has been out so I've been waiting to hear back.. Its been a little less than a week of no hay and she started foaming again last night, did the same baking soda routine and she's fine. This morning (after doing a good bit of research) I opted to feed her separately again and give her a mash instead. She was exactly enthused.

My question is what is going on? What do I need to do to prevent this? <br /><br /> __________ March 21st, 2019, 9:51 pm __________ <br /><br /> Wanted to give an update as it would appear that nobody here has any clue. She started foaming again this morning and I decided to make a vet appt. I'll make another update after I take her to the vet.

No idea but I hope it works out for you. My first thought is keep her on the mash plus hay but really, no idea.

michaels4gardens":23nwfzzy said:
I have had trouble in "calves" like that, .. from food stuck in their throat, - from not swallowing properly when they first start eating grass,,,

Yeah she eventually stopped, I think she was also eating other things that she shouldn't have been. I gave her and her brother to a rescue where they're living a way better life than I could've ever gave them here and she hasn't foamed since she went. I'll try to upload the pics here one day if I get around to it. Hopefully I can go visit them soon, they're really close to me I've just had nonstop cat problems and either not enough money or time.

ButtonsPalace":en9nqrpj said:
michaels4gardens":en9nqrpj said:
I have had trouble in "calves" like that, .. from food stuck in their throat, - from not swallowing properly when they first start eating grass,,,

Yeah she eventually stopped, I think she was also eating other things that she shouldn't have been. I gave her and her brother to a rescue where they're living a way better life than I could've ever gave them here and she hasn't foamed since she went. I'll try to upload the pics here one day if I get around to it. Hopefully I can go visit them soon, they're really close to me I've just had nonstop cat problems and either not enough money or time.

I did the same thing with my first goats, gave them to someone with the money/time/experience to keep them alive, never mind healthy! :roll:

GBov":3hssjmmu said:
ButtonsPalace":3hssjmmu said:
michaels4gardens":3hssjmmu said:

I did the same thing with my first goats, gave them to someone with the money/time/experience to keep them alive, never mind healthy! :roll:
Perhaps, better than the fate of my first goats. :whistle: :dinner:

GBov":2tq1kr2j said:
They do taste nice Zass but I prefer lamb/mutton because it is so much fatter.

Hahahaha! I could've never ate those two babies, I fell in love with them the first time I saw them, I love their momma and her personality. I'm glad I was able to give them to someone who knew more than I did and was able to give them so much space and freedom,

I've had lamb before and thought it was delicious. Been watching a woman on YouTube that raises sheep and sends babies to slaughter. I'm tempted but I think I'd get too attached.

Ya I had one ewe that would hork down grain and about once a month or so she'd over do it and be throwing herself around and foaming at the mouth trying to dislodge the big gob she tried to swallow. Never fully broke her of it but she did better than she used to. She'd be worse before lambing when they get more feed. Weirdo.

I have seen some people have done DIY slow-feeders. They make fancy ones for dogs that eat too fast. It's like a bowl with some bigger rocks and stuff (too big to eat) in it that they have to nose around in the bowl in order to eat. So it's near impossible to eat too fast.

Back