Goat feed for rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So look at the ingredients and nutrient analysis of goat feed and rabbit feed and the only downfall is the fiber %. If I supplemented with sunflower seeds for fiber would that be enough? The feed I'm after is 17% protein min. and Im doing it because its cheaper and also they have 20% goat feed available too if everything works out. Thoughts??

17-20% fiber in the goat feed isn't bad--lots of rabbit pellet brands are in that range. The 10% fiber in the sheep feed is way too low.

What jumped at me is the vitamin A. Those are many times the vitamin A levels that are found in rabbit pellets. Over-dosing added vitamin A can cause problems. My guess is that the manufacturer is adding retinol for a vitamin A source---that is the source that can cause problems if overdosed. You would have to call them to find out. (if the vitamin A source is beta-carotene, it might be OK. My understanding is that there isn't an overdose problem with beta-carotene).

Nutrition is complex. If there was a word beyond complex, I would use that word. Amateurs (like me) probably don't take all the variables into account.

17-20% fiber in the goat feed isn't bad--lots of rabbit pellet brands are in that range. The 10% fiber in the sheep feed is way too low.

What jumped at me is the vitamin A. Those are many times the vitamin A levels that are found in rabbit pellets. Over-dosing added vitamin A can cause problems. My guess is that the manufacturer is adding retinol for a vitamin A source---that is the source that can cause problems if overdosed. You would have to call them to find out. (if the vitamin A source is beta-carotene, it might be OK. My understanding is that there isn't an overdose problem with beta-carotene).

Nutrition is complex. If there was a word beyond complex, I would use that word. Amateurs (like me) probably don't take all the variables into account.
The top pic is rabbit feed only available in other provinces and the bottom is the goat feed I'm considering

I am no expert on animal nutrition, but when I think about human health, it is never enough to read the %'s on a bag when deciding if it is good to eat... I would want to carefully examine the actual ingredients. So... maybe even in the case of rabbits and goats it would give you some big clues as to whether this food seap is a viable option.

Latest posts

Back