go for 2, end up with 7...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
That's the way it goes, isn't it? I drove over thinking 2, or 3 rabbits. On the return trip it occurred to me that finding room for SEVEN was going to be tricky :x ah well. Let's see now...what did I bring home?

American breed:
1 Jr doe, white
1 Sr. Buck, blue
1 Jr. doe, Blue, LOVELY doe, very nice mandolin body.

Beverens:
1 Jr. Doe, blue (GORGEOUS girl), from a Brown/blue breeding
1 Jr. Doe, black, from a black/blue breeding
1 Sr. Doe, black, luscious coat and good body
1 Jr, buck, blue, with the most wonderful head and eye, and personality (and color)

at least...I THINK that's what I brought home. I just put them all in various places NOT in with the other rabbits.

Oh yes..the 3 month old Jr Beveren buck is, um....well, let's just say his impulse is to breed anything that doesn't move quickly enough. Very energetic boy...so he's NOT in with the girls, as I'd planned for tonight in a makeshift colony. The girls are QUITE happy in their sisterhood, I must say.

Pictures tomorrow provided I don't die from sepsis or something from all the scratches :lol:

I had called Mike to tell him that I was going to be VERY late 'cuz we were looking at so many rabbits...and, speaking of enablers....he says "I hate to say this, but...if you want more...we can find a place for them, so buy as many as you want" :eek:

yes..Mike's a keeper. INSANE, but a keeper :lol:

No pictures yet, the group is still getting used to the new environment.
and yes...I'm starting to get VERY addicted to this. There's an open show up Northern Wisconsin in 2 weeks..I've decided to go :) Unless I can locate a show closer to home, although I LOVE the drive up o Lake Superior.

They're going from hanging cages, outdoors (under roof, in open barn, etc.) fed pellets only, to indoors, larger cages, colony setting for the 3 junior does, hay, and starting the greens today. I'm going to try to keep up a blog about the transition.

I'll probably start a new blog for these guys...or maybe just a new page? Got to go figure that one out ;) my rabbittalk blog is Piffles and Farbles

Woo! Congrats! So jealous of the blues. I've decided that once I have everything situated with the rabbits I have and get some of my cage space back, I would be getting a trio. They are so awesome!

As far as buying several at a time, I do the same thing. I stopped looking at CL, but my friend just sends me all of the rabbit related ads. It's a scary, scary world we live in. LOL. I set out to raise a trio of NZW's for our table and now have 35 does, with intentions of having 50 by the end of the year.

Seems like a plan...add them to the main blog. :) Mike was out at the farm sleeping peacefully when I got home here in town, and then went straight to work this morning, so he hasn't seen the rabbits yet, but in my sleep deprived fog earlier, I told him about them. He seemed pleased!

Pf...35 does and you want 50? omg...Do you realize that if they were all delivering in the same week, you could have...350 kits? WOWZERS! I'm having trouble keeping up with my paltry 7 does..and I just added 5 more...ENOUGH FOR ME! (for now :lol: ) oh...btw...I'll have a litter of lovely blues in a few months :D

As to the newbies:
They're all eating and drink well. They each drank almost a quart of water in the first 8 hours. It was just sooooo hot yesterday. Poor things. :(

They've all figured out that hay is GOOD now :D The juniors have been cleared up the few greens I put in, Will do more tomorrow. The Sr. American Buck...ah...I think I'll call him SAM....likes the greens, but like Peter (my NZ buck) he seems to really prefer the hay.

Everyone seems to be settling in. Later today...NAIL TRIMMING!

Anntann":h0rualy7 said:
Pf...35 does and you want 50? omg...Do you realize that if they were all delivering in the same week, you could have...350 kits? WOWZERS! I'm having trouble keeping up with my paltry 7 does..and I just added 5 more...ENOUGH FOR ME! (for now :lol: ) oh...btw...I'll have a litter of lovely blues in a few months :D

I read in another post, something about if you were to take a trip to Oregon???? LOL. I have some lovely broken reds. Wink wink. Nudge nudge. Hint hint.

I would never breed them all at the same time. I don't like to breed more than 10 in any one week, but will never breed less than 3 in a day. I like to make sure I have a way to foster. :)

Latest posts

Back