Gluten Free Pellets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Blue

Reaction score
Bought a bag of pellets today and they don't list the ingredients on the bag and I couldn't find it on their website. My bunnies probably don't care about gluten but I have celiac disease (since my teens) and don't like having to work around it as it took me decades to get my health to somewhat normal and the slightest contamination is a huge threat that keeps me in a constant state of concern. I know my chicken feed has it and I wear gloves and a mask to feed them. Wondering if I need to do the same now with my bunnies feed. It's this stuff. https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/country-feeds-16-rabbit-feed

Ultimately I'd like to have all gluten free chicken feed and rabbit pellets if possible if anyone knows of a source for this because I really don't want to keep risking contamination/exposure. Especially with my kids also being celiac. (For those who aren't aware, the gluten grains are wheat barley and rye and oat is generally contaminated unless specified gluten free.)

I would assume it has those grains in it. If the ingredients are not printed on the bag or on the website, there should be a paper tag sewn into the seam that will have the ingredient list of that particular batch. If not, I saw this contact form on their site you linked: https://www.nutrenaworld.com/general-inquiry

To explain the "that particular batch" comment, there are a few ways feed is made.

There are the feeds that have a guaranteed analysis on the bag (like this one) that promise that the feed will be in certain parameters, however when you buy grains they don't all test the same nutritionally, so to get the final nutrition profile correct, they have to play with the mixture of different ingredients to get it right. So the final test results are the same for all bags, but the ingredient lists may be totally different. This is also the least cost method because they can move ingredients around to get the most bang for the buck.

Then there are the fixed ingredient feeds, those have the feed ingredients printed on the bag but the nutrition may swing some. There are actually 2 versions of this. There is one version that has a fixed recipe that doesn't change (and is printed on the bag) which swings the nutrition more but humans think it's better because it's "the same" all of the time. Then there is the other one that will have the ingredients printed on the bag in no particular order and those are the only ingredients used, however they will be at different ratios depending on test results.

Could I feed them primarily organic alfalfa pellets and timothy hay and then supplement with other grasses and things from my garden? I have 2 garden beds I can dedicate to them and I can grow year round (no snow).

Could I feed them primarily organic alfalfa pellets and timothy hay and then supplement with other grasses and things from my garden? I have 2 garden beds I can dedicate to them and I can grow year round (no snow).
You probably could, you would need to know what things to grow in the garden though.

Try reading through the following links, should have some decent information in them that will help you figure out what is good as a substitute.

how-to-raise-rabbits-when-the-lights-go-out
homemade-feed-should-i-add-anything
forage-only-diet-what-if-i-exclude-grain-completely-from-my-rabbits-diet

In the cool months I have plenty of brassica leaves of all kinds as well as peas, carrot tops, all root tops, and in the warm months lots of bean vines and sweet potato vines, and lots of clover available in the yard. And lots of zinnias which they seem to go crazy for. Also I grow a lot of comfrey too. And can plant anything they may need.

Last edited:
Bought a bag of pellets today and they don't list the ingredients on the bag and I couldn't find it on their website. My bunnies probably don't care about gluten but I have celiac disease (since my teens) and don't like having to work around it as it took me decades to get my health to somewhat normal and the slightest contamination is a huge threat that keeps me in a constant state of concern. I know my chicken feed has it and I wear gloves and a mask to feed them. Wondering if I need to do the same now with my bunnies feed. It's this stuff. https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/country-feeds-16-rabbit-feed

Ultimately I'd like to have all gluten free chicken feed and rabbit pellets if possible if anyone knows of a source for this because I really don't want to keep risking contamination/exposure. Especially with my kids also being celiac. (For those who aren't aware, the gluten grains are wheat barley and rye and oat is generally contaminated unless specified gluten free.)
I too have celiacs and can relate to the long process of diagnosis and healing. I use Prince brand pellets they list nutrition breakdown, not ingredients. I have not noticed a problem..I just wash up well after dealing with animals, always a good idea. I have also gone to a free feed system so am only handling their pellets once a week. I love the book BEYOND THE PELLET by Boyd Cravin & Rick Worden. These other foods I give everyday , never just one thing . I try for a mix of 5 or more. they dig thru and pick their favorites. (They went crazy for radish tops) they also always have hay I get from someone who grows for their horses that is a field mix. I realize free feeding may not work for a caged rabbit with little exercise and boredom eating. Their hutch is opened everyday. They have a 20x30 yard to run in and go in and out at will. Water, pellet feeder, hay inside. Hubby keeps replenishing brush piles they play in and chew on. Birch, mulberry, maple, pine, balsam... I grow a high protein corn (painted mountain) they love the stalks roots and all. Do not give cobs or kernels! . An added bonus.. I found when given a choice they don't poop in their home and instead fertilize their yard. So much less clean up.their home has deep litter with the same hay I feed. I give the fresh foods outside, bribe with a handful of sunflower seeds at night when I want to close them in for preditor protection. They are now to the point when they see me coming with the flashlight and bowl, calling " bun, buns..time to go home" all 3 race for the door, push their heads out waiting for a treat..I start my day and end my day with my furry friends. Good luck, in this adventure.

I too have celiacs and can relate to the long process of diagnosis and healing. I use Prince brand pellets they list nutrition breakdown, not ingredients. I have not noticed a problem..I just wash up well after dealing with animals, always a good idea. I have also gone to a free feed system so am only handling their pellets once a week. I love the book BEYOND THE PELLET by Boyd Cravin & Rick Worden. These other foods I give everyday , never just one thing . I try for a mix of 5 or more. they dig thru and pick their favorites. (They went crazy for radish tops) they also always have hay I get from someone who grows for their horses that is a field mix. I realize free feeding may not work for a caged rabbit with little exercise and boredom eating. Their hutch is opened everyday. They have a 20x30 yard to run in and go in and out at will. Water, pellet feeder, hay inside. Hubby keeps replenishing brush piles they play in and chew on. Birch, mulberry, maple, pine, balsam... I grow a high protein corn (painted mountain) they love the stalks roots and all. Do not give cobs or kernels! . An added bonus.. I found when given a choice they don't poop in their home and instead fertilize their yard. So much less clean up.their home has deep litter with the same hay I feed. I give the fresh foods outside, bribe with a handful of sunflower seeds at night when I want to close them in for preditor protection. They are now to the point when they see me coming with the flashlight and bowl, calling " bun, buns..time to go home" all 3 race for the door, push their heads out waiting for a treat..I start my day and end my day with my furry friends. Good luck, in this adventure.
Thanks so much, sounds like a great system!

Latest posts

Back