Glechoma hederacea -Creeping Charlie?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big part of the confusion results because people neglect to use the botanical (Latin) names for plants. Common names are not consistent and can vary with the locality or culture.

Take Daucus carota, for instance. You might know it as Queen Anne's Lace. In some places it is known as bishop's lace and others as wild carrot.

So ... do you have a botanical name for Creeping Charlie?

I have Glechoma hederacea (common name Creeping Charlie around here) that I've planted in my yard and give to my rabbits. They don't particularly enjoy it but it didn't harm them. The younger the plant, the more desirable they are to the buns.

I've found myself having to avoid "pet rabbit" websites for answers of what is safe or not. Most often, they basically say don't give your rabbit anything outside of hays. Homestead/livestock/breeding websites are usually more knowledgeable and accurate imo.

creeping charlie is one of those plants that some rabbits will eat and others will not. I have less success feeding it if it is in flower. young plants are more palatable I think? But overall it's a plant that I try to eradicate... more successful at merely control it as it's super invasive.

creeping charlie is one of those plants that some rabbits will eat and others will not. I have less success feeding it if it is in flower. young plants are more palatable I think? But overall it's a plant that I try to eradicate... more successful at merely control it as it's super invasive.
You're telling me! We've tons of it, which is why I was hoping it to be a windfall for the rabbits. No such luck! Thank you for your experiential insight. :)

I was looking at that website Maggie posted again. Come to think of it, I think we may have Lamium purpureum growing in the corner of our yard, too. The square stems are pretty distinct. Whenever I had rabbits in that corner, they only ate the leaves off of that and left the stem.

Another plant that looks similar to creeping charlie is henbit (Lamium amplexicaule). I hate touching it because to me it has a weird, musty smell but my rabbits loved it.

Back