Giant Rex.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
Last night I came up with a idea. The idea was that I want to create a new rabbits breed that I will probably call giant rex. The giant rex would be heat resistant, big, meaty and it would have rex fur. I would also breed the fur to be longer so they would be less receptive to sore hocks. Overall I want to breed a better and giant rex. What do you guys think and how do you think I could achieve this.

the thread doesn’t have that much information so I doesn’t help that much. does anyone have a idea how to solve the sore hocks problem?

I say go for it! Sounds like a fun project. What would you mix with the Rex to add size? What is the target adult weight for your giant rex? How many litters / generations do you think it will take to find a big rabbit that also carries the Rex genes?
I wish I had enough space to have the cages needed to experiment like this.

I'll just put this so you know but I think it would be better to use a small Buck and a bigger Doe since if the Buck is bigger the Doe might have problems giving birth

I say go for it! Sounds like a fun project. What would you mix with the Rex to add size? What is the target adult weight for your giant rex? How many litters / generations do you think it will take to find a big rabbit that also carries the Rex genes?
I wish I had enough space to have the cages needed to experiment like this.
Three breeds. First I would breed a nz sized Indonesian breed (bligon) to the rex and then I would breed that mix to Flemish and German giants. i don’t know I would probably make the giant rex as big as I can. I have no idea how long it will take.

I agree with ladysown; the best way to avoid sore hocks is to breed/select for thicker pads.

There's a Facebook group we joined while trying a similar project. It doesn't seem that active anymore, but you might find more info from older posts:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/569754766489718/
Giant rexes seemed like a fun idea that we tried a couple different ways, but we weren't very happy with the results. Mostly how very dominant the Flemish bony frame was, rather than the commercial Rex build we were hoping for. Our litter sizes also dwindled from 10+ average to 6. It was too much work and not enough reward for us, but you sound more adventurous than we are.

There's a couple studies showing growth rates are improved when a larger buck is crossed with a smaller doe. We had trouble making that work with our giant buck, though. May have been unique to him, as he tended to pin them against the floor, making it hard for the does to lift.

Also, the only study I can find at the moment was for Californian-NZW crosses, which aren't that different in size to begin with (so my defense for that argument is a bit weak):
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ornian_rabbits_on_growth_and_slaughter_traits
Good luck! Breeding a new rabbit type takes real commitment, as it takes a while for all the traits you're wanting to express themselves and do so regularly.

Probably want I will do is: first I will breed the rabbits to the right size and with the right fur with only a little bit of perfecting. Then I would start culling hard and i would only keep the very best.

Making giant rabbits with a commercial type is almost self-exclusionary. Commercial type involves a high percentage of meat packed compactly onto a medium-bone frame. The meat breeds have been heavily selected for both feed-conversion efficiency and the most meat on the least frame. It makes sense that commercial meat breeders would have bred the very biggest rabbit they could while still remaining efficient.
And it seems that anything over about 12 pounds requires heavier bone to support the increased weight. If you breed a really big rabbit it'll either have heavy bone, which costs more in terms of feed and development time, or you'll end up with bone development problems, which is obviously a non-starter.
Quite a few people around here cross Flemish with NZ/cals/Satins in hopes of "bigger meat bunnies." They generally get what I did when I did the experiment years ago... the Flemish cross bunnies look bigger at butchering (and boy, they eat bigger too!) but when dressed out, I actually ended up with more meat from my purebred Satins than from the big-looking Flemish crosses. The Flemish gave size mostly in terms of bone, pelt and ears!
You might want to develop a giant rex simply in hopes of getting a bigger pelt. But you'll still be looking at that issue of heavier bodies needing heavier bone, so you'd have to be willing to sacrifice dress-out percentage and feed efficiency, as well as growth and generation time. Also, with a heavier rabbit you'll be looking at potentially even more likelihood of sore hocks.

Latest posts

Back