GI stasis . Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
tonight I went to feed the rabbits and mus was not eating and he is hunched up in a corner and he has a look in his eyes that doesn’t look normal. I think that it is GI stasis. Is there anything that I can do ? And no I can’t take him to a vet.

Gi stasis can mean two things a blockage or gas. When I had this issue it was due to gas and parasites. With a stethescope I could hear his intestines moving. He had indications of pin worms and coccidia.
What I did was make a smoothie of fennel and pineapple core to help his digestive system. He also got a gas tea. Every 30mins to an hour id give him a syringe and after 30 mins he'd have very soft stool. Others have recommended infant gas drops. In the search box put Gi stasis and I'm sure you can find an more experienced responses.

If it's just stasis, infant gas medicine works wonders (only requires one dose, but you can do more of you want; there's no known side effects for 'overdosing' it).

If it's something more serious like worms or coccidia, it's a lot harder. We recently treated one of ours with antibiotics, but some people can't get those and/or don't want them in food animals.

actually I think that I was something else but now I have a other problems. Temper has diarrhea.
I'm sorry to hear that! We've used a couple tablespoons of oats a day to help firm up diarrhea. I've heard that help, and it seems to work for us, but it may have just gone away on it's own (ie not sure how effective it actually is).

That can be pretty scary to deal with.

Latest posts

Back