German or Giant Angora in Canada?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAngoras

Reaction score
I have spent that last 12 years looking for a Giant or German angora in Canada.

I managed to find some French Angoras with unknown genetics and they are cross bred. I am working on getting what I want to see with the fibre. But ultimately wouldn’t mind finding a breeder that will help with expedite the process.

my name is Yvonne and we have a fibre farm in central Saskatchewan. Feel free to check out our farms Instagram at Login • Instagram

Attachments

• A3BBE2A9-6CC9-495A-86F2-696CC621FBFD.jpeg
    A3BBE2A9-6CC9-495A-86F2-696CC621FBFD.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 6
Have you experimented with the different wool you get from the different angora breeds? I've found there's quite a bit of difference in the qualities of the wool between the various breeds. Some have softer fiber, some make yarn with a lot more halo, but it isn't as soft, etc.

We're isolated and have a small genetic pool so several years back a half Satin/ half German buck was used to keep the ratio of inbreeding lower. That really screwed up the fiber quality of our English angoras, though, and I'm still trying to breed out the high maintenance coats that the cross breeding caused. Might only have been from the specific rabbits we used, though, I don't have extensive experience in cross breeding and don't plan to try any more experiments with it, either.

Can you find any rabbits past your southern border? It isn't that difficult to get a rabbit across the border is it?

Latest posts

Back