Garlic Mustard

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So I was looking up to see if garlic mustard was something I could feed my rabbits and found more than one site that told me that it was a very useful plant to keep your rabbits OUT of your gardens.

As they will come, smell the garlic mustard and then look elsewhere for food.

So, I still don't know if it's toxic to rabbits, but I'm seriously wondering if I should even bother trying if people use it to keep rabbits out of their gardens... :?

It sounds like a yummy addition to a mixed greens salad! If the bunnies wont eat it, you could. :)

ladysown":1u1d1q84 said:
So I was looking up to see if garlic mustard was something I could feed my rabbits and found more than one site that told me that it was a very useful plant to keep your rabbits OUT of your gardens.

For those of us that are unfamiliar... can you give us a scientific name or a link? Sounds like an interesting plant.

Here you go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliaria_petiolata

It's a very invasive plant here in Ontario. People can eat it... and I doubt if it is toxic to rabbits. I've never bothered to try because I'm quite sure the garlicky smell would repel them. We have a ton of it... Maybe I should try it in my next wild salad. :)

Thanks Maggie.

It shows that it grows in this area, but I am not familiar with it.... I guess it hasn't overrun the area like some exotics yet.

Noticed that the article stated that Garlic Mustard is a brassica-- so, think broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower as far as safe for rabbits to eat---

Yes it is safe! I have fed my bunnies Garlic Mustard “Alliaria petiolata” it’s not their favourite but it’s harmless and very nutritious. It comes around every spring and we have to weed it out as it invasive here in Ontario so we feed it to our chickens( yummy eggs) and rabbits every year.

Personally I think the garlic flavor is VERY light. Then again, we LOVE garlic so when a recipe calls for few cloves we are likely to use a whole bulb. Since it emits allelopathic chemicals I am not inclined to add it to my yards diversity and it is generally too far away for me to add it my meals. I have used it in camp cooking though.

Latest posts

Back