Fur mites and fleas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraKai45

Reaction score
So I have a couple rabbits that seem to have fleas and mites. I’ve used topical ivermectin but it isn’t working like I thought it would so I figured I would go with the injectable version. Have any of you had any problems with the injectable kind? Does it kill both fleas and mites? Also the formula I’ve been using is 1cc for every 2.2 lbs is this correct? Thanks

So I have a couple rabbits that seem to have fleas and mites. I’ve used topical ivermectin but it isn’t working like I thought it would so I figured I would go with the injectable version. Have any of you had any problems with the injectable kind? Does it kill both fleas and mites? Also the formula I’ve been using is 1cc for every 2.2 lbs is this correct? Thanks

For fleas I use a kitten version of a cat flea capsule, I forget the exact brand at the moment. We only had fleas once years ago. Does Ivermectin work on fleas?

Like hotzcatz we use kitten or puppy flea products for problems like this, like the stuff they sell at grocery stores and you put a couple of drops on the neck behind the ears. It works for us. I guess it is up to your level of comfort because these things are not marketed for rabbits. But many flea products have the same active ingredient even if they have separate labels for cat versus dog flea control.

The recommended dosage for rabbits is generally 0.2 to 0.4 mg (200 to 400 mcg) of Ivermectin per Kilogram of body weight. Buy the injectible form and a syringe with 1/10 cc markings, and you won't be overdosing your rabbits by many times the recommended dose. Ivermectin for rabbits is most reliable and most well-researched when given as a subcutaneous injection (and not hard to do), but even giving the correct measured amount orally would be safer than the "pea sized amount of horse wormer paste" method so often recommended.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ivermectin.htm

Latest posts

Back