Fun post, making my rabbit shed! ideas? *pictures*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl9768

Reaction score
Im turning an old 2 story play house into a rabbit shed this summer and would love some.(first time doing images fingures crossed)

1e9749cf-b2e1-4b80-ae5e-c4358953c35f_zpsd5e28b92.jpg

60c87c8a-e439-4773-a10e-42f5d7564fed_zps2eb0b1b4.jpg

b49079d1-3377-4664-b901-57a71869a646_zps1629ed87.jpg

So if you had this base what would you do? The bottom is not quite tall enough to stand up under so I am debating taking some of the second floor out. Maybe just keeping a corner or half for storage and a few cages what do you think? I am going to close in the walls and insulate them more to keep the heat out in the summer then anything but I am trying to thing of the best was to ventilate it so it stays under 80 degrees. I gets in the 100 fairly frequently in the summer. What kind of cages would be most efficient? Should I keep the floor sand or concert it?

Also because of our neighborhood ordinances I can’t make an out building… so I have to make my rabbitry look like a little girl’s play house. So any cute decorating ideas would be great as well.

Lattice panels with some windows cut out with window flower boxes. (this from the lady with windows with a view in her chicken coop)

I would probably cut out some of the second floor floor and use half for storage. The half under the storage can be used for more cages when you decide you need more later :p

This looks like such a fun project. Enjoy!

I would keep the sand base so the urine can drain, and you just need to rake up the waste every once in a while. It wont smell until you disturb it by cleaning it out.

Are you planning on making one tier or two?

If only one tier, you could leave the second floor all the way around the perimeter on three sides and hang the cages from it. You would have to put support posts in of course. Then you would have plenty of storage above the cages for nests, transport cages, food, hay, etc.

If you want to go two tiers for at least part of it, you could remove all but one section of the second floor and still hang a few cages under that area.

Not to hijack, but I had a question about bunny pee. Will it kill the grass under the cages?

Also, I want to see pictures of the new rabbit shed after you convert it, cowgirl! :)

TheLittleBunny10":215589vz said:
PistolPackingMomma":215589vz said:
Lattice paneling would be my suggestion. Looks like it has a lot of potential.

me too, you could paint it pink and purple!

Now I want to paint mine pink and purple...or teal and blue! :lol:

How many sides are "visible" to the neighbors? You could put lattice on that side and have the cages face outward on the other sides, so you don't bump your head...inside the playhouse....and have a door in the lattice to get behind the cages and into the attic storage section....You could do lattice panels on hinges below the hanging cages and still clean out easily. See MSD's set up in the photos section....are you worried about neighbors knowing you have rabbits? growing vines will help with shade and if they're grape vines, the leaves will be bunny-safe fiber!!! Just a few thoughts

Well the neighbors are not the problem. One neighbor made a shed, the other owns more dogs then we are allowed, the other has parties every night. They all know I have bunnies and love them so long as I keep the smell down. The problem is the nosey city worked who looks over our fences and reports us. Only two sides are visible from the fence though so that is good.

Also I want to give some dominions since it looks slightly smaller in the picture. (I am 6ft tall so that’s why I can't stand under it comfterably)
mesurment_zps107ca66a.jpg

So what I was thinking it that I could wall in part way up, put lattace the rest of the way, and add a fan of swamp cooler.
kdjsu_zps9309e263.jpg

Would this give enough ventilation?

Also I use stacking cages with tray now. (I can just rake the poo to the side because I do live in such close quarters with the neighbors) I have to move all the poo the garden. I could fit nine 6 hole cages on the bottom along the side and remove all the upper part except what is above the cages but I feel like I could do more with the upper level... maybe only take half and put a few larger cages up there with a little bucket pulley system to bring the poo down.... any other ideas?

Wow, it's a lot bigger than it looks. First thing I might consider is maybe post/deck blocks or something to raise it up just a little so you're comfortable standing up.

As to the siding/lattice, I am not familiar with how much cooling you get from a swamp cooler, but it seems kind of closed in to me with the heat you're talking about. But maybe the cooler will make it fine.

I think you could definitely put some cages up top. Keep in mind you're going to need some kind of stairs to get up there, and that means more construction. An option is to leave half the upper flooring and use it for storage, hay, equipment, etc. It would be handy to have it all in one spot.

Whatever you decide, I can't wait to see it finished!

Lattice is good, better is GARDEN CLOTH (cheap, plentiful etc, or FINE mesh, you can buy it at Walmart, the stuff for Tutu's...
Keeps the bugs OUT, lets the air flow.

Latest posts

Back