Fruit flies and Fodder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to prevent fruit flies from setting up colony in your fodder in late summer? Lol. I disposed of all my fodder at the end of summer because it was just a fruit fly magnet and would be clouds of them when I touched the fodder. I had to dispose and spend weeks catching fruit flies. I’d like the get going again and looking in how to prevent this from happening?

Define "fodder" in this case. Dry hay would not typically attract fruit flies in my area... were you growing wheatgrass or something?

So, generally, those are called "fungus gnats" or "soil gnats" and they are not fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster). They are there because the soil is warm and damp, and not much else is so damp in late summer. If you want to try again you could try starting with sterile potting soil and clean new pots. If you have other house plants they may have established outposts and then they may recur. I have read about home remedies involving hydrogen peroxide, but damp potting mix is such a prime habitat, and I have never been diligent enough to completely get rid of them. in late summer I think I would just move the fodder outdoors.

So, generally, those are called "fungus gnats" or "soil gnats" and they are not fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster). They are there because the soil is warm and damp, and not much else is so damp in late summer. If you want to try again you could try starting with sterile potting soil and clean new pots. If you have other house plants they may have established outposts and then they may recur. I have read about home remedies involving hydrogen peroxide, but damp potting mix is such a prime habitat, and I have never been diligent enough to completely get rid of them. in late summer I think I would just move the fodder outdoors.
Hmm… maybe I’ll find more info online using the correct name 🤣
I don’t grow it in soil. Just sprout it and let it grow, feed the grass and entire root mat. I soak the seed in hydrogen peroxide before sprouting to prevent mold, I’ll have to look into that other remedy, but making sure it’s washed away enough to not harm the rabbits.
I didn’t even consider just moving outdoors 😅 I’ll keep that in mind too.

Could you direct a fan at your fodder trays? That should help. Also, keep fruit fly traps going all the time. I reuse plastic water bottles with a bit of apple cider vinegar in them and a small hole punched in the lid. Cheap, easy to make and maintain, and very effective.

Could you direct a fan at your fodder trays? That should help. Also, keep fruit fly traps going all the time. I reuse plastic water bottles with a bit of apple cider vinegar in them and a small hole punched in the lid. Cheap, easy to make and maintain, and very effective.
Oh, good idea! I can put a fan on it.

Does anyone know how to prevent fruit flies from setting up colony in your fodder in late summer? Lol. I disposed of all my fodder at the end of summer because it was just a fruit fly magnet and would be clouds of them when I touched the fodder. I had to dispose and spend weeks catching fruit flies. I’d like the get going again and looking in how to prevent this from happening?
Sprinkle in some diatomaceous earth food grade. It will kill them plus deworm your rabbits. It is also beneficial in many ways to the overall health of the rabbits. I take it too and my dogs.

You can make a good fruit fly trap with a little wine in a glass. Stretch plastic wrap over the top, with the tip of a knife punch some holes. I used this in the root cellar, was amazed how much I caught

You can make a good fruit fly trap with a little wine in a glass. Stretch plastic wrap over the top, with the tip of a knife punch some holes. I used this in the root cellar, was amazed how much I caught
Yes, I do this with apple cider vinegar, works super well!

I'd guess you have fungus gnats--they like moist areas. You can tell by using just a hand lens and comparing them to fruit fly / fungus gnat photos online.

There are nematodes that wreck havoc on fungus gnats. These are very available on the internet. The nematodes are microscopic. They burrow into the fungus gnat larvae; they don't kill the flies themselves. Organic Fungus Gnat Control | ARBICO Organics

Fungus gnats are attracted to the color yellow. A yellow 3x5 card with vegetable oil on it will trap the adults. The pre-sticky cards are sold in a lot of places. https://www.amazon.com/Kensizer-20-Pack-Dual-Sided-Whiteflies-Insects/dp/B07KRRJT5J?th=1

Latest posts

Back