Fox killing my birds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
Ok. This isn't strictly *rabbit* related, but it is a predator problem we are facing.

We have lost 5 birds to a red fox in the last 6 weeks. 2 guineas, 2 muscovy hens, and a chicken. It has been devastating. When the first duck went missing, we weren't sure what hit us. No evidence at all. It was definitely our fault, as the birds were out free ranging while we were away in town and we got held up and came home very late to find her missing from the rest. Second incident the fox killed 2 of our three guineas just before we went to bed. Again, our fault. The guineas and ducks had been coming and going on their own and we'd been closing the coop doors later than we should have been. We responded when we heard the guineas alarming, but we found them already dead, more than 200 feet apart when we went outside. We suspect a mated pair of foxes because it happened very quickly. Hubby saw the tail end of the fox trucking down the road when we found the second guinea. We really learned our lesson about locking down the birds at dusk and have been very strict about it since that happened. Then, yesterday, another incident. The birds were all out free ranging within 100 feet of our house and the fox struck in the middle of the afternoon. I came outside when I heard the lone guinea alarming and could hear the flapping of all the birds as they rushed up toward the house from the road. I looked over the backyard fence to see a fox charging my birds, feathers in mouth. I screamed as loud as possible, called the dogs and ran out. Dogs chased the fox off. Found a muscovy hen on her back struggling at the far edge of the property. So the fox had wounded her and then came after the chickens. He got most of my rooster's sickle feathers and a chicken is missing. I had to finish the job on the poor duck and that was traumatic and horrifying for me. (I can dispatch a chicken and a rabbit without losing it, but I really lost it on my duck.)

I didn't know my birds were at risk in broad daylight. Now I do. They are on lockdown, but it is pitiful. The remaining ducks, 1 drake, 2 hens, are NOT at all pleased at being in jail. The chickens will get over it. I have been sending the dogs out regularly to "go get the fox." They know where it is coming from. We are considering trapping and dispatching the fox. But... I know this is the season when foxes are raising young. If we kill this fox, the babies will likely die. I don't know how I feel about this. If we DON'T kill this fox, she is likely to show her pups that we are a buffet. The coop is solid - no way can a fox get inside once we close it up at night. The chickenyard has 6 foot chain link fencing and that fencing is buried in a concrete perimeter. But I know the birds can get out if they are absolutely determined. We do not have the funds to put a hard top on the run, which is just over 300 square feet. We could put aviary netting over it, which will prevent the birds flying out... but will it keep the fox from getting in? And it pains me to know my birds might have to stay locked up all the time.

What would you do? Trap and kill the fox? (It is legal to do so.) Keep the birdies in prison? I can't leave the dogs outside unattended all day. Our property is not fenced and they will chase anyone walking a dog or out for a jog. (They wouldn't harm them, but that's really not the point.) Can't afford to erect a fence. And unfortunately, I cannot supervise the dogs long enough and consistently enough to reliably train them to stay on our property. I can't leave the cattle dog alone outside with the birds, either... he will chase and pin them with intent to harm if nobody is looking. Our property is bordered on 2 sides by a rural road and 2 sides by thick woods. The owner of the wooded property bordering ours does not have a building on the land - his family only occasionally comes to hunt during the daytime and sometimes allows logging. We only own about .5 an acre. The fox is coming from the woods across the street, but travels along the edge of the road.

you may have to lock them up, I had to do this for my chickens. a coon was pulling them through the chain link fence. topped it with chicken wire and then surrounded the coop with the wire also. I know it seems harsh but mine were being pulled apart. Just could not stand the thought of that.have not had any problem sense...good luck...

You only have one option right now.
You need to confine your birds 24/7.
If you can remove the fox threat, then the birds can go free again.

I feel your pain. We have just over 50 hens. We lost one a few
days ago, probably to a fox. It could have been a bird of prey.
Our birds get to free range from about 2 pm till dusk when they
put themselves back in the coop and then we lock them up for the
night. They have a big fenced in yard for the first part of the day.
We really need to put some kind of cover on it though.
We are using 6 by 6 ft kennel sections for the yard. Nice and sturdy,
and if we need to move it around, it can be done by one person
if need be. The used sections were bought from a craigslist ad
a few years ago. If we hear our head rooster doing his "run for
cover" screaming, then we go and check things.

Right now, the fox associates your place with food. Keep the flock locked up for a bit, and that will change.

Sorry for your losses. I've been through it, and it really sucks.

Latest posts

Back