Four litters due this weekend!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderHill

Reaction score
We took a break from breeding over the winter, so haven't had new kits in almost 4 months, but have 4 does due this weekend! One is a first time mom, and two litters are the first attempts from our fastest growing rabbit to date, a REW buck from a litter last year. He's hiding either black or broken black, so we bred to two different solid black does to try to find out what he is. If we get any brokens, we'll know he's broken. Also, at least one of the two does carries REW, so we'll likely have some of those. We also had our first broken to broken breeding, so are likely to get our first charlies.

Here are the match-ups (all NZs):
1.) Lola (Broken) x Orca (broken)
2.) Oreo (Broken) x Ace (black)
3.) Emma (Black) x Frost (REW)
4.) Char (Black) x Frost (REW)

I'll post pictures when they get here! In the meantime, feel free to post pictures of yours! 😄

Oh my goodness, you're about to have your hands full! We did the same thing last year and it was a blast, but too much for me to handle on my own LOL. I look forward to seeing all of the baby photos 🥰 Cheers to flawless kindling and healthy kits!

Thanks! Lola only ever has 3 or so, and Oreo and Emma average 6-8, so not huge litters by NZ standards. Plus we were anticipating the possibility that Frost could miss since he is still pretty young, but we may end up with 4 good sized litters! I'm planning to build a grow out tractor similar to what @Albert uses if we need more space for them.

Thanks! Lola only ever has 3 or so, and Oreo and Emma average 6-8, so not huge litters by NZ standards. Plus we were anticipating the possibility that Frost could miss since he is still pretty young, but we may end up with 4 good sized litters! I'm planning to build a grow out tractor similar to what @Albert uses if we need more space for them.
You know those tractors are a complete fluke that have turned into a god send. We bought the hutches because they fitted quite nicely in a shady part of the garden. Then we got the rabbits and immediately went "Oh no that's way too small!". So we added the runs on to each of them and moved them to the grassed part of our vegetable garden. They've been in them since last August and they seem really content and happy. It's a bit of a pain moving them every two days but we've never had to clean the indoor areas because they always pick a corner in the furthest end of the run. I just scrape up the droppings when we move them and it goes straight on the vegetable patches. I love sitting up there watching playing about and sunning themselves.

I'd love multiple litters at once and can't wait to see how you get on!

Here's ours this morning at day 3 :)

IMG_20220310_111004482.jpg

First time mom Char had only 3 little black kits this afternoon. It's looking like Frost may be hiding solid black and not broken, but 3 is a pretty small sample size, so not sure just yet. I hope the small litter size was due to both rabbits still being pretty young. Nothing so far from Emma, so we think she may have missed.

20220314_154247.jpg

I just got 2 litters! 8 and 9!! spring is here, and the buck is beside himself, lol. I will breed back the older doe at 4 weeks this time, she is very capable. The younger will get a longer pause. And I have a third new doe to put in the rotation. I need another growout tractor or two!

I need another growout tractor or two!
congrats on your litters! Can we talk tractors and growouts? Do you know if tractoring your growouts could possibly compromise the safety of the meat if the rabbits are for meat production? As I have mentioned in a separate post, I would consider tractoring my growouts destined for the freezer if I can ascertain whether or not the meat would continue to be safe for human consumption. My gut tells me it would, but I also realize there are many things I still do not know.

In my area I would not hesitate to use fully cooked meat that had been grown on the ground.

If you buy organic beef/chicken/pork, or eat anything wild caught you are basically running the same risks--except we have USDA inspection. Mr. eco2pia used to run a USDA slaughter operation. He said meat would fail if the animal was visibly ill, or if there were visible parasites in the meat or liver-- this to me says that observant eyeballs are all we have between us and chaos in our USDA inspected meat pipeline. Certian parts of the animal are not permitted to be sold because visual inspection is not enough--lungs and brains specifically.

So I think I have the ability to visually inspect meat. I am motivated to make healthy meat from healthy rabbits for my own consumption, not to make a million dollars. If I see a sick rabbit or parasites I will be responding immediately, not trying to sell it anyway to cover my bottom line. I think that is the reasonable precaution, and should suffice.

Of course, if I SEE that the rabbits start getting sick or getting high parasite loads I would have to rethink my plan--in a small space, you are effectively creating a concentrated population, and pathogens can build over time. Because our winters are not all that harsh it might become an issue, but until it does, I will give it a shot. If it does, I am not opposed to using medication premptively and following appropriate witholding guidelines prior to processing.

My view is that anything I do short of an episode of animal hoarders is probably better than a commercially raised chicken.

Mr. eco2pia used to run a USDA slaughter operation.
I love that there's a Mr eco2pia, that's a Star Wars character right there!

I'm not poking fun, I'm English my sense of humour is odd at best. Sometimes I'll start laughing for no apparent reason and Mrs Albert will say "Oh you've amused yourself in your own head again". ☺️

I love that there's a Mr eco2pia, that's a Star Wars character right there!

I'm not poking fun, I'm English my sense of humour is odd at best. Sometimes I'll start laughing for no apparent reason and Mrs Albert will say "Oh you've amused yourself in your own head again". ☺️
Mr eco2pia is from NZ. There are definite similarities, and I may have cause to use that line on occasion. You will have to thank Mrs Albert for me.

Omg I love the babies! How are they doing now? I’ve got some mini Rex babies born may 2. I’m trying to not keep all of them lol. I might keep a few bucks to get them proven then sell them.

here they are. 3 bucks 2 does5B3B02CA-A7CD-43FA-81AD-D49E3FD7D6E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Omg I love the babies! How are they doing now? I’ve got some mini Rex babies born may 2. I’m trying to not keep all of them lol. I might keep a few bucks to get them proven then sell them.

here they are. 3 bucks 2 doesView attachment 29824
Aww! So cute! All of mine have done great and we've had several litters since then, including our first few charlies!20220602_114039.jpg

Latest posts

Back