For you SHOW FOLKS

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindi Davis

Reaction score
What do you do to get your rabbits in to show condition ??
Im curious as to what you feed or if you do change it up before a show

Thanks

Mine are fed a mixture of : barley, flax seed, black sunflower seeds, safflower, rolled oats and calf manna. I fed approx 1/2-1 teaspoon per day. Of course those who have rabbits outside and during summer need to be concerned of the heat when feeding high protein diets. I recently bought some rabbits that where outside rabbits there entire life. After they where out of quarantine(they are not fed this mixture during quarantine) I noticed a huge difference in there coat & color within a few weeks. I am sure it is partially because of moving from outdoors to the inside rabbitry. The temperature is 10-20 degrees cooler and 25-30% lower humidity. I also give an extra crock that has "bounce back" an electrolyte mixture in there cage, which they love, a few days before a show and they are given that while in the carrier to and from the show.

A little topper on feed can some times help a bit with coats and forcing/finishing a molt, but if you don't have the genes to have a rabbit in that perfect show condition no food or conditioning of any kind is going to just make it that much better. Some lines may differ slightly in how much a topper will affect them but the better ones have it or will have it with out trying to do really special care.

SMR":2c52umri said:
A little topper on feed can some times help a bit with coats and forcing/finishing a molt, but if you don't have the genes to have a rabbit in that perfect show condition no food or conditioning of any kind is going to just make it that much better. Some lines may differ slightly in how much a topper will affect them but the better ones have it or will have it with out trying to do really special care.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't do anything to condition a rabbit, I try to breed for it. I use the same principles for dog showing- I feed, wash, dry and show. I try to feed a good, balanced diet, keep em clean, and the rest is genetics. I just don't have the time or patience to fuss over anything like that, myself included.

Latest posts

Back