Food digging

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Any ideas on how to stop the blasted digging in the food bowls? On wire the food is being wasted at a staggering rate.

Using crocks right now, set into a wire holder. I had a look at what scraps I have available and found some 2 by 4 bits so am going to make something with those to raise the bowls higher and make a bit of a step they have to reach over. Might do the job? Bloody things wasting like this, only the rats are happy!

How can one put wire over the food without risking hung bunnies?

you build a frame for the bowl and staple chicken wire to the frame. They have to then eat through the chicken wire for the pellets and can't dig them out. :) it's inconvenient and doesn't work if you have a determined doe who likes to rearrange her stuff.

Over here there's a big ceramic tile under the food dish. They dig through it to get the bits they want, then eat the stuff they spilled later when they're hungry. It's a pretty big tile, a shallow baking sheet would also work. Just anything to catch the food they dig out. Another option is a tray under the wire, but that will catch droppings as well as spilled feed.

I used a piece of cage wire affixed to the top of the bowl just wide enough for the bunny to feed. You can tie it down whichever way works. Cut a hole in the wire to allow the bunny to reach the food but narrow enough to prevent digging. Try 2" x 3" first. If still a problem, I would try 2" x 2" an see if that works.

One cage has a baking tray and it works mostly alright, they do walk through it and spill that way but not too badly. Its the other cage that is such a nightmare but the new bowl holder seems to have worked.

What I badly need is more space but sadly, not much hope of that any time soon.

Feed less food. I had a doe that was digging / throwing her food, and I fixed it by skipping a meal, and then feeding less food. Shes not so picky when shes hungry.

Feed less food. I had a doe that was digging / throwing her food, and I fixed it by skipping a meal, and then feeding less food. Shes not so picky when shes hungry.
When she is on her own I do but she has 6 kits in with her, about to move them into their own quarters soon and drop her rations but she has taught them all to do it.

The food platform is still working, yay!

Back