Fly season coming

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliehooks

Reaction score
I'm using a pan system for the manure from the rabbits. I was wondering if there is any kind of spray I could use after scraping them to hopefully ward off/kill flies or lower the amonia content. The trays are metal and 1 1/2" deep

I wouldn't know of anything I would not worry about either distributing around my rabbits, or putting into the manure and therefore my vegetables. Other than cleaning more often and rinsing the trays, depending on the development time of flys at that location and temperatures. Would love to have some chickens to take care of what survives on the compost heap.

I was thinking spraying dawn dish soap or vinegar on the trays after scraping would that work to maybe help air quality and deter flys? I just read too that dawn dish soap is a good insecticide substitute for plants

If the pans are out of reach of the rabbits, sweet PDZ may help quite a lot with the smell. It's a bit like clay litter, and is compostable. Works wonders in chicken coops and horse stalls.

For flies I'm thinking of trying some of the biological controls that are available to order. Basically parasitic wasps or BT. Mostly the flies are interested in the ducks and chickens more than the rabbits for me.

We have a lot of tansy here; that's supposed to deter flies. I don't know, though... it's considered a noxious weed and the feds are constantly spraying it in the national forest land all around us. 🙄 They send in a bunch of idiots who apparently can't tell aspen and birch from tansy. 🤦‍♀️ It doesn't kill tansy but it's awfully hard on aspen and birch. I cut a bunch of tansy every year from where it tries to creep onto our place. Last year I tried soaking it and using it as an insect spray on my garden but it didn't work. I think it made a fairly good fertilizer, though 😏

I would not use vinegar on a metal tray; it will even rust galvanized metal. I don't have rabbits yet, but I learned this with chicken feeders from feeding fermented feed. They ❤️ love ❤️ it, but it's a good way to ruin expensive feeders. Now I use those recycled rubber pans--wonderful stuff!

You could sprinkle into the pan some chopped straw or other (chopped if it's broad leaved) dry plant matter that would soak up some of the urine. Or you could put the bedding onto the cage floor, even a couple of inches thick. You would have to scoop it out every several days if it doesn't sift down into the pan, but deep bedding does a great job keeping the flies down for my chickens. In fact, I've never seen much for flies in their coops. I use pine petals that the squirrels gather up for me, and other soft forest floor debris. If you want to use fallen broad leaves, you'll need to chop it. A lawn mower works well, but point it toward a bare spot like a driveway, so you can easily rake it up.

You could try spraying your trays with peroxide. It will clean off the ammonia and it won't harm the rabbits. Plus peroxide can be used in gardens as well. You can usually buy 29% at your local feed store. Just make sure to water it down to 3% or 4% . And be carefully handling it. It can burn your hands if your not wearing gloves.

People that have horses use PDZ brand. This is a fine granule that absorbs ammonia. It is just a mineral, zeolite. Zeolite is also used in medical situations, and it is organic. It doesn't affect the rabbits or the garden. I use it in enclosed boxes and it works. Just sprinkle it on the wet areas and then put in your bedding.

Have tried DE on the pans? I wouldn't want it in the cages but if you put it in the pans it will deal with those flys. I have noticed knats in droppings when I leave past 3-4 days. A brick on top of bunny ball bin stopped the one fly magot infestation, after I sprayed sides and surface with vinegar. My best control though is Fence Lizards. Never short of them once they breed and the little ones eat non stop. They also do a great job on the surface soil dwelling chewers, like brown moth larva. Little garden angels. A homemade flytrap can be made by cutting a 1ltr bottle 1/4 of the way down. Flip the top, insert into the bottom. Fill with some nice fermented yuck of your choice and they will go for it! With animals the best defense is cleanliness. Almost impossible for more than 5 minutes.
Fly tape is a joke. Don't waste your time.

Back