Fly Fishing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marian

Reaction score
A fellow who ties his own flies for fishing is interested in buying green pelts of my Creme D'Argents. He really liked the orange colour. For anyone interested, it might be an idea to post green pelts for sale for fly fishing at sporting and bait stores.

Marian

If you look at the fishing section of an outdoor sports store, you can see that many flys are made fluffy, poofy and such... basically the acrylic equivalent of rabbit fur. I do remember reading that some fishermen prefer to make theirs from natural fur.

Devon's Mom Lauren":2xa3whx5 said:
Ok so what are green pelts? What do you have to do to them to get them "green"? lol

I think you have to use that double sided sticky tape that unwinds out of a tube. :D

It's a good idea to rub down the skin side with a mixture of coarse salt and borax to keep the pelts from decaying or attracting insects. Once they are dried with that mixture rubbed in they should be pretty much insect proof. Alternatively you can roll them up skin side out and store them in a freezer.

i used to make felted rabbit fur from wild bunnies for fly tying.i would cut the hair from a bunny skin and put it in a jar with some soapy water.shake for awhile then rinse well.the fur could then be rolled between your palms to make what looked kinda like a short piece of yarn.its was attached to the hook you were useing and twisted with a double loop of thread and then wrapped around the hook to make the b ody of the fly you were tying.when done right it would make a very realistic buggy looking fly body.add a wrapping of rooster hackle and you had a wooly worm fly.very effectice and cheap trout lure.

Latest posts

Back