Fly control in rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user8584

Reaction score
I am using fly strips but not getting the results I want .
what would you recommend?

depends on what you have around you. We have tons of toads.
I know a rabbit friend who keeps ducks as they are excellent fly catchers.
You can encourage lots of spiders.

Fly bait/traps work well.
Not interested in adding fowl or ducks, we are too old to be adding that kind of chore. Besides our place is small. But I thank you for your kind reply.

other things that help.

1. fans blowing
2. fly traps (super simple to make with a large pop bottle) and lots of ready-made varieties to purchase (note: some stink!)
3. fly bait. Note you do need to keep pets away from it.
4. a different type of fly sticky tape, different brands work better than others. And sometimes it's all about where you put them.
5. moving manure out quickly and keeping it well away from where your rabbits are (or keeping it well covered).
6. black soldier larvae

other things that help.

1. fans blowing
2. fly traps (super simple to make with a large pop bottle) and lots of ready-made varieties to purchase (note: some stink!)
3. fly bait. Note you do need to keep pets away from it.
4. a different type of fly sticky tape, different brands work better than others. And sometimes it's all about where you put them.
5. moving manure out quickly and keeping it well away from where your rabbits are (or keeping it well covered).
6. black soldier larvae
All the above but #6, we clean out and wash pans every other day, cage bottoms wiped down, getting ready to move them outside into a shady lane

Now that you mention it, another breeder in my road does use this method, well, more out of laziness and tradition than anything else, and I never noted that amount of flies around his hutches as I have.

Fly strips are useless wherever there is some kind of airflow, they dust up and don't work for long.

For flies that could pose a danger to rabbits I would use traps, did this for one year but here flystrike is pretty much unheard of. A big jar, with a little meat and water as bait, the top covered with black stuff (flower pots in my case) so that the entrance holes are shielded from light. They go in by smell and try to leave towards the light.

WARNING: Those traps stink. Big time. I think emtying them was the most disgusting and vomit provoking thing I ever did in my life.

Attachments

• Fliegenfalle.JPG
    Fliegenfalle.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Black Soldier Flies are a good way to control house flies. They are also a great way to pre-digest food scraps going into the compost cycle. Understand the BSF control house flies by out competing them. If the house flies source is not something you can control, then they will not be a great solution.

I just ordered The Worlds Best USB Silent Fly Trap which is an impressive device. I have followed this from inception. I'll post about it when it arrives. The cool thing about this trap is that it uses the flies' social habit to attract even more than the bait.

Latest posts

Back