Floppy ear?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Fan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! My recent Mini Lop litter is doing well, but I have noticed a few of my kits have crooked ears. (Pictures below) I don't remember seeing this before. Is it normal?
Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 3.05.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 3.04.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 3.04.22 PM.png

As I am sure you know, ...
mini lops, are a "designer breed" ,"relatively new" ,and bred for the pet trade.
It takes a long time, and ruthless culling of breed stock, to remove "undesirable traits", when creating a "new breed"...
Unfortunately, many, if not most breeders, breed rabbits, they should not breed.. to keep cash flow coming in...
"Meat rabbits", have had hundreds of years ruthless selection, so [commercially speaking]there is far less "undesirable traits" in those breeds. However "backyard breeders", often create problems, and then breed them, and then sell them for "breed stock"...-

All you can do is.. select the best, and only breed those rabbits..
keep good notes, so you know what crosses ,or individuals ,throw "defects".
I am sure it will still make a "lovely pet" ...
and... Best of luck...

Thanks! I will NOT be breeding this pair again for sure. I am looking to sell the doe as I think it is on her side....

If you are breeding for show this can be a problem. I have a friend from work that has a pet rabbit (she does not know that I eat rabbits). She considers Hops to be her best pet. She has shown me pics and Hops is quite the run-of-the-mill medium mixed-breed rabbit. I haven't seen the rabbit in person but from pics looks a bit smaller than a typical New Zealand. As a pet owner, things like that are unimportant. What she cares about is temperament and a healthy rabbit.

Back