Floor types?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunarFantom

Reaction score
So I know the golden standard for floor types is 1/2inch by 1inch 14 gauge double galvanized, but I'm having a heck of a time finding it. Lowes doesn't have it, walmart doesn't have it, tractor supply does have it. And even on the world wide web its been crazy hard and crazy expensive.

I've found 1X1 14 gauge, and figured I'd construct a very secure baby box. But then I did some reading and found that larger spaced floors might benefit from larger gauges and now I'm not sure. Thoughts? :oops:

the money spent on good quality flooring is money well spent.
one example of a good wire supplier . http://www.klubertanz.com/ .. http://www.klubertanz.com/Wire_0418.htm

in my opinion ...if you plan to be in the rabbit "business" buy the best quality, and heaviest gauge 1/2" x 1", you can get .- but do not build floors from wire from Tractor supply, or any other cheap supplier, it will fail [the welds come apart, and it begins to rust] in about a year, or maybe two [if you are lucky] replacing failed floors in cages is such a pain, and very time consuming. Then you will have to spend the money on quality flooring ,you tried to avoid when you built the cages. If you do not replace the floor in time, you will have wounded, or escaped rabbits.

LunarFantom":1rfwequn said:
So I know the golden standard for floor types is 1/2inch by 1inch 14 gauge double galvanized, but I'm having a heck of a time finding it. Lowes doesn't have it, walmart doesn't have it, tractor supply does have it. And even on the world wide web its been crazy hard and crazy expensive.

I've found 1X1 14 gauge, and figured I'd construct a very secure baby box. But then I did some reading and found that larger spaced floors might benefit from larger gauges and now I'm not sure. Thoughts? :oops:

Look for "Galvanized after weld" or "welding." 1 x 1/2 is necessary based on my experience and 99% what I have read and heard from others. 14 Gauge is best but 16 gauge is used by some. It does not last as long. Others here have indicated that many of these wire suppliers will carry your order with them to a show that you can drive to. You can also check with Bass Equipment. Check also Grumpy's posts on wire. He is a genius.

this is my solution to flooring issues, the price of the 1/2 inch conduit is comparable to good quality 14 gauge wire , the assembly labor is quite a bit more. These floors are virtually indestructible .

Attachments

• IMG_20180202_152651.jpg
    IMG_20180202_152651.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 2,358
Kent":mafjvi8k said:
LunarFantom":mafjvi8k said:

Look for "Galvanized after weld" or "welding." 1 x 1/2 is necessary based on my experience and 99% what I have read and heard from others. 14 Gauge is best but 16 gauge is used by some. It does not last as long. Others here have indicated that many of these wire suppliers will carry your order with them to a show that you can drive to. You can also check with Bass Equipment. Check also Grumpy's posts on wire. He is a genius.

Ah 16 gauge might work! Thanks.

Wow! Michael do you have any photos of that floor in action? I'd love to get away from floor wire.

Regarding locating floor wire I could not find anything local other than the 16 gauge. 14 gauge was all online but shipping was too expensive.

imajpm":1ga6sl53 said:
Holy smokes. Nothing is getting to those rabbits! Is that pvc conduit on the doors? Thank you for showing me :)
The doors and floors are made from EMT [metal] 1/2" conduit. - I could not get metal 2" x 4" framing material without holes [so i used "studs", instead on the "top"/ "bottom" plate material I wanted] The holes in the metal had to be covered enough that young rabbits can't escape.
The lower level is for chickens [6 laying hens]

-- Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:11 pm --

6 hens <br /><br /> -- Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:03 pm -- <br /><br /> The conduit is super easy on their feet, the conduit pieces in the floor have a 9/16 inch space between them . It is very easy to clean by just running a stiff bristle broom over it, and then spraying with bleach water. The hay, hair and poop ,does not build up on it like a wire floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_170015.jpg
    IMG_20180411_170015.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 2,324
  • IMG_20180414_103848.jpg
    IMG_20180414_103848.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 2,324
  • IMG_20180826_172231.jpg
    IMG_20180826_172231.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 2,323
  • IMG_20180826_172241.jpg
    IMG_20180826_172241.jpg