First time processing...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
Okay, I’ve read multiple threads in here but I’m still confused on what to do. My husband will be handling the processing, after the rabbit is skinned and gutted, we planned to rinse it, toss it in a meat bin and put in the fridge until rigor mortis passes and then I’ll filet and freeze it Later.

Two questions..

1) is it okay just to put multiple rabbits in a meat bin, put a lid on and put in fridge? Or should we be adding water? I’m reading both ways and not sure what’s right, better or the difference.

2) how long before rigor mortis passes? Should the fridge be warmer or colder for this process to pass quickly?

thank you!

I am fairly new at this so hopefully others respond. After processing I put them in bags with no water, place in refrigerator and wait 2 to 3 days. This has produced very pleasing results for me. I didn't change the temperature of the refrigerator.
As far as the rigor mortise goes it seems the concensus is to wait no less than 24 hours. I have not tested anything less myself. Just sharing my own method that seems to work. Hopefully others with more experience will weigh in.

Okay, I’ve read multiple threads in here but I’m still confused on what to do. My husband will be handling the processing, after the rabbit is skinned and gutted, we planned to rinse it, toss it in a meat bin and put in the fridge until rigor mortis passes and then I’ll filet and freeze it Later.

Two questions..

1) is it okay just to put multiple rabbits in a meat bin, put a lid on and put in fridge? Or should we be adding water? I’m reading both ways and not sure what’s right, better or the difference.

2) how long before rigor mortis passes? Should the fridge be warmer or colder for this process to pass quickly?

thank you!
Hello,

My first rabbit harvest I didn’t have a fridge at the time and left the rabbits in some ice water in a cooler for about 24hours before cooking and they turned out great. Now I have a fridge, I typically air chill the carcass’ on a wire rack on a baking pan/cookie sheet for at least 24hrs before butchering. I find the meat easier to work with when it’s not all slippery. One thing you can do after slaughter/before fridge, is let the carcass’ soak in salt water, it helps draw any remaining blood out. When I slaughter I have a bucket/cooler with cold salt water right beside me, when the rabbit is skinned & gutted, it goes right into the salt water, any more I’m slaughtering in that sitting will go in together. Then once I’m done and clean up knives/guts etc, I pull them out of the salt water, pat them down with paper towel, and they go on the rack in the fridge.

Hello,

My first rabbit harvest I didn’t have a fridge at the time and left the rabbits in some ice water in a cooler for about 24hours before cooking and they turned out great. Now I have a fridge, I typically air chill the carcass’ on a wire rack on a baking pan/cookie sheet for at least 24hrs before butchering. I find the meat easier to work with when it’s not all slippery. One thing you can do after slaughter/before fridge, is let the carcass’ soak in salt water, it helps draw any remaining blood out. When I slaughter I have a bucket/cooler with cold salt water right beside me, when the rabbit is skinned & gutted, it goes right into the salt water, any more I’m slaughtering in that sitting will go in together. Then once I’m done and clean up knives/guts etc, I pull them out of the salt water, pat them down with paper towel, and they go on the rack in the fridge.
Thank you so much! That was very detailed and helps a lot!

Latest posts

Back