First time kindling, doe bled out

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
She had a beautiful litter, was lively enough that day, was off her feed the next day, is dead now in a pool of blood.

Question, is that not unheard of for a first time doe? Never had one go that way myself but many others have had rabbits longer than me.

Biggest fear is RHD1 or 2 but if she had it, should her kits not have died as well and/or the other rabbits showing signs by now?

Trying fostering now but the only doe I have has 2 week old kits. Have put them all together (before thinking of RHD) so she gets the idea and then will split them again into two nests and switch them through the day and night so all get her time equally.

Not sure if it will work but the living doe is a fantastic mother so fingers crossed we don't lose them all.

Sorry you have to deal with that..
I have had that happen after kindling a few times..--
no rhyme or reason, old does, and young does..
I guess , like in humans, sometimes they hemorrhage...
if there was no blood in the mouth, eyes,or nose -- it was probably a "hemorrhage", not a disease.
It is so sad to find that mess...

No, her face was clean so I think it was from kindling. A worry though. Thank you for letting me know you have had it happen, not nice for you but a relief to know it does happen sometimes.

Alice had not fed the kits by this morning so I held her for them. She is in with her own - well, I say her own but it is a mixed litter of hers and her own mums, the four remaining after the rats got most of them :evil: - today and will put her with the orphans again tonight, after holding her for them again right before bed and again in the morning.

Hope to break the jinx this way and get the bunny god to forgive whatever it is we did. :roll: <br /><br /> -- Wed May 13, 2020 4:51 am -- <br /><br /> Worth a try but it didn't work. Didn't think it would really but couldn't resist trying.

So, out of four litters born in the last 8 weeks, we are down to just four kits. Eyes now open and starting to bounce round so, with something unlike what feels like my normal luck, they will continue to do well.

Thank gods I could get my hands on some wire, it has prevented rats getting any more of them.

Down to two does and two bucks and four kits.

Learning how to make snares as the traps are not working. :evil:

I have at times made good rat traps, from a 5 gallon bucket with 4 inches of water in it,
I fasten a piece of lumber or metal on the top as a "teeter totter" and put a little peanut butter on the end over the water.
Also, -a big pop can with a coat hanger wire going through the middle lengthwise, [so it will rotate] over the water in the bucket also works well.
I just smear a little peanut butter, or bacon grease on the can.

michaels4gardens":20qmra4h said:
I have at times made good rat traps, from a 5 gallon bucket with 4 inches of water in it,
I fasten a piece of lumber or metal on the top as a "teeter totter" and put a little peanut butter on the end over the water.
Also, -a big pop can with a coat hanger wire going through the middle lengthwise, [so it will rotate] over the water in the bucket also works well.
I just smear a little peanut butter, or bacon grease on the can.

Thank you!!! I tried a tip trap in Florida and it just did not work, they were very clever and nimble :roll: but I will try the can on a dowel, just need to find a bigger bucket.

Have also bought extra hot chocolate mix and ordered plaster of paris and small plastic sandwich bags.

The insane murdering doe still has not been dispatched and hers is the only cage - other than the rat proof hutch - that has no rats going in and out. She, you see, is actively hunting them and they are smart enough to NOT go in with her! :lol: <br /><br /> -- Thu May 14, 2020 11:54 am -- <br /><br /> Feeling absolutely gutted, Alice is dead in her hutch. No blood, no mark, her front feet slightly wet but that is the only thing that looks wrong, other than her being dead, that is. :roll:

Starting to be glad the Murder doe is still alive as I am now down to two does, two bucks, four kits with no mother.

The kits are eyes just open so they may make it, or not if whatever killed the two does gets them too.

If this lot dies, I think I am done with rabbits. Stubborn I am but I can't keep going like this. :cry:

I have nothing useful to offer but the utmost sympathy. What an astounding string of bad luck! Sending good vibes your remaining crew hangs on for you!

kotapony":12tko4u6 said:
I have nothing useful to offer but the utmost sympathy. What an astounding string of bad luck! Sending good vibes your remaining crew hangs on for you!

Got some good news at least, found the source of dead rabbits on our allotment so know for sure I didn't kill them with contaminated grass.

The vermin controller shot them, despite not being able to get in to collect the bodies. I know they do damage but really :evil: at the waste.

So now we wait and see if the four kits survive without their mum, make more rat proof cages, sort out some rat control, and see if the ONE remaining doe produces a litter AND survives long enough to raise them.

It feels like a tall order. :lol:

Back