First Time Breeding our Buck - He's a little confused...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirstenclark

Reaction score
So, this is our first time breeding our buck and doe, both are about 8 months old and they're American blue rabbits. We were waiting for the weather to cool down to breed them, and now that it's a little cooler we're giving it a shot.

Last night we put the doe in with the buck and... the buck seems confused. He's obviously interested in the doe, and luckily she's been calm and hasn't shown aggression to him or anything, but he just can't figure out what he needs to do. He licks her ears, hops around her, licks her again, sniffs her tail... then after awhile just lays down. I put them together again this morning and it was the same thing. This time I even held her down gently and lifted up her tail while the buck sniffed, but nothing happened beyond that sniffing. Has anyone else had any experience with a confused first time sire? Any tips?

:welcomewagon:

Hi Kirsten! Welcome to RabbitTalk!

I have a young pair of American Blues myself! I can't wait to breed them. :)

Did you check the doe's vent color? It should be dark pink or purple. An experienced buck likely would have tried anyway- mine have only one thing on their minds when a doe goes into the cage- but an untried buck would probably need the stimulus of the doe being prime before trying to do the deed.

This thread has pictures of does in varying stages of receptivity:

judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

My young buck stops in the middle of doing his job and look over to me as if wanting my opinion if he is doing a good job, lol.

Ditto... I have a mini rex buck that I purchased for adding some more magpie coloring to my lines and he was a very confused little boy. He really didn't know which end was the business end, but after a bit of trying he got it right at least once. He was doing the same thing with the sniffing and wanting to play, but after a few failed frontal attempts, he got himself worked out and got a good tuck and fall. After that once, though, he was done with her and wanted nothing more to do with her.

Could be he's just not mentally mature enough, I mean, guys do mature slower, right?! :mrgreen:

In all honesty, he might not be ready. Some bucks are slow on the uptake. My favorite angora buck was that way, and when he finally figured it what he was supposed to do, he couldn't 'find it' if you know what I mean. Even now, he's slower than my more proven buck, but he's starting to get it. :)

amandainohio24":3emjd38j said:
My young buck stops in the middle of doing his job and look over to me as if wanting my opinion if he is doing a good job, lol.

That's funny ....

Ive yet to try any breeding , just got started with buns in the beginning of August (Wrong time in Texas). Lost my first buck to the heat.
So after getting a nice new chocolate Rex buck & two does , one lilac and one broken tri from One Acre Farm Im waiting out a quarantine period along with the heat before I put them thru the stress of mating.
As I wait , I cant help but wonder if he'll know what to do .... The suspense of that first potential litter is almost killing me.
I just hope he knows what to do ... he's such a pretty little thing , almost doesn't look real .... I don't think I could put him in a stew pot.

He likely just isn't ready yet...do you have an older buck you can breed and have the younger one in the next cage to "watch"?

:lol: Oh my gosh does that work? Bunny Voyeurism? :popcorn: My new FW buck had no clue at first but he seems to have gotten it and a litter or two might be coming in-let me check my countdown-21 days. Oooh I am exited! First time bucks are funny :) I think they all eventually get it-some probably sooner then others.

Untried bucks are so funny. I have a young buck who figured it out after a bit with a little guidance from the buck next door and me turning him around. The look on his face when he finally did the deed wE hilarious. Like "what was that".

Latest posts

Back