First show advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessie15273

Reaction score
What do I need to know about my first ARBA show? I am very excited for it but I have several questions. I am 16 and it will be just me there. I might be able to get one of my cousins to help me. How many rabbits should I bring? If there is a youth and an open show on the same day at the same place, can I do both? I have a little cart I can use to hold the carriers. Could I toss a sheet over it so they can't see as well?

jessie15273":2cvitr37 said:
What do I need to know about my first ARBA show? I am very excited for it but I have several questions. I am 16 and it will be just me there. I might be able to get one of my cousins to help me. How many rabbits should I bring? If there is a youth and an open show on the same day at the same place, can I do both? I have a little cart I can use to hold the carriers. Could I toss a sheet over it so they can't see as well?

Welcome to the showing club. !

For a first show... sometimes it is a good thing to go and Watch. It can be overwhelming initially...then it will begin to make some kind of sense...

At 16 You are allowed to show Youth and / or Open...The SAME rabbit cannot be in both shows the same day. Some shows the Youth can be in a separate area... some shows will do the Youth before the Open at the same table.

Personally, we try to figure two per class... doesn't Always work out... but that is my goal...

A cover over the carriers is a good idea... Helps keep the bunnies calmer and offers a bit of protection from germs.

You might want to take something to sit on.... there is a LOT of standing around at a show ! Chairs are a welcome relief.

Hope You have a great time. Please 'report' back and let us know how it went. :bunnyhop:

Jessie,

good luck at your first show! I am sure you will have a good time. I wrote a piece about my first experience showing. It will give you an idea of what to expect:

first-show-experience-t5766.html

The second show I attended was much smaller and less chaotic. :)

Go there with the fullest intent to just enjoy yourself and learn in the process. That's what first shows often turn into--a learning experience. Very rarely does anyone set the showroom world ablaze on their first trip.

Watch as many breeds as possible being judged. Listen to what the judges are looking for when they're judging classes, varieties and breeds. Most show dates have multiple shows on the same day, and that will provide you with ample opportunity to learn about several different breeds. You'll find a few which breeds seem to interest you the most. Those are the ones you'll most likely find yourself raising and competing with at future shows.

Make a wish list of supplies you may need and carry it with you. There will probably be a vendor present at the show, and it's a good way to buy supplies without having to pay an ungodly amount of money to ship those same items. Get a copy of the ARBA's standard of perfection.

Mix with breeders at the showrooms. Some will take to you quickly, while others likely will not. Stick with the ones who will associate with you and try to learn as much as possible from them. Ask them what to look for on a pedigree and ask them to show you the typical pedigree as an example.

MamaSheepdog":6gaczmvf said:
Jessie,

good luck at your first show! I am sure you will have a good time. I wrote a piece about my first experience showing. It will give you an idea of what to expect:

first-show-experience-t5766.html

The second show I attended was much smaller and less chaotic. :)

Any other suggestions on how to keep Rex coats nice and clean?

I just took mine out every day for about a week and groomed them with my hands and the vinegar/water mix. They seemed to enjoy it. If your rabbits have stained feet (or other parts), you can try rubbing baking soda into the area, and brushing it out. I haven't tried this on fur, but baking soda and vinegar clean things well- it will foam up like crazy. You would need to rinse the area with water afterwards.

Make sure your cage floors are clean too. :)

I mist ours very lightly and rub the fur back and forth until dry, and clear of any dust. I touch them up really quick just before they go on the table by using the sticky side of tape to remove any loose hairs on the coat. Some people use lint rollers, but my experience with them has been that they are just not quite sticky enough to do the trick.

Typykal":2w81c7gt said:
I touch them up really quick just before they go on the table by using the sticky side of tape to remove any loose hairs on the coat.

Great idea!

You are getting some great advice. I attended two separate shows before going to my first. I had showed rabbits for several years but that was over 30 years ago. Things have changed but the basic's are the same. First I would suggest practicing as much as possible if you can 1 or 2 times daily, with your rabbit or rabbits. Only for 10-15 minutes at a time. Go over the same procedure as the judge would. Get there early and set up your space. Bring drinks and snacks, help is always nice. A comfortable chair is good too. I bought a grooming table the day of show, but vendor did only bring one and it was $70. I did watch the judge that was judging my class. There was an "A" show and a "B" show the day I went, they sometimes do A, B & C show thou. The B show ended around 3:30pm.

I came here to post something similar myself. My son and I are going to a show this weekend just as spectators. What should I pay the most attention to that will help us when we start showing this fall?

6riversfarms":3gv3wq2y said:
I came here to post something similar myself. My son and I are going to a show this weekend just as spectators. What should I pay the most attention to that will help us when we start showing this fall?
I would talk to other people both in the youth & open class, who show your breed(s). Watch a breed get judged from start to finish. If your first show is in the same place look and see where you would want to set up at.

6riversfarms":29zr1rvq said:

If you've already chosen the breed you'll be raising and showing, pay particular attention to all the varieties in each show (assuming it's a double or triple show, both of which are quite common nowadays), and listen to each judge's comments and how/why they're placing them. It will give you a good idea of how different every judge can be.

Latest posts

Back