First Show- Advice?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
I am a first time rabbit owner, and I purchased my first rabbit as my FFA SAE project. He is a purebred 7 month old sable point Holland Lop buck, and I have had him for almost 3 months now. We have our first show next month :D , but it's not a serious show, I just drop him off on the check-in date, they house him for several days, and I pick him up after the judging is finished. He will be judged for best in breed, and best in show. Of course, I try to do my research, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on prepping for the show, or what I might expect. How can I help my rabbit to be the best he can be? And if anyone has dealt with this type of show before, is there anyway to know if my rabbit will be stressed after I bring him home, and how can I prevent as much stress as possible on him :?: And any advice on the Holland Lop breed itself would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• image8.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 2,042
  • PC240011.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 2,042
Um, keep him seperate from other buns if you have them, sorry but, I passed on the state fair because the show is ran the same way, and I have had friends who had rabbits do very well, and come home sick, one lost her entire rabbitry to Pasturealla.

There are many problems with showing at fairs/expos, and the previous poster named one of them pretty effectively. Among others are the fact that visitors take it upon themselves to feed anything and everything from funnel cakes & corn dogs to cotton candy & fried zingers to rabbits thru their cages.

Not telling you not to show, but beware of the situation you're often getting into with a fair show. It's why I will likely not ever show at a fair which requires me to house my rabbits there for more than the day of the show, which the AR state fair no longer requires of open show exhibitors.

Thanks, but actually its not at a fair. After the drop-off date, the building will be inaccessible to anyone other than the judges and owners.

In that situation, it might not be such a bad idea to participate, if for no other reason than to see how your rabbits stack up against others' rabbits.

Just a word of caution:
Every show places your rabbit in a situation
where there is any number of possible illnesses
which could be unknowingly or even knowingly
carried by a rabbit not of your breeding/bringing.
This is what necessitates you attention at isolating your
returning show rabbits from the rest of the herd
for at least two weeks. Should any symptoms of disease appear
you must treat accordingly even to the point of culling/euthanasia.
The welfare of the herd must never be placed in jeopardy
for one or two rabbits. All these things must be weighed
into the process of choosing whether or not to show!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":1qg7r99q said:
Just a word of caution:
Every show places your rabbit in a situation
where there is any number of possible illnesses
which could be unknowingly or even knowingly
carried by a rabbit not of your breeding/bringing.
This is what necessitates you attention at isolating your
returning show rabbits from the rest of the herd
for at least two weeks. Should any symptoms of disease appear
you must treat accordingly even to the point of culling/euthanasia.
The welfare of the herd must never be placed in jeopardy
for one or two rabbits. All these things must be weighed
into the process of choosing whether or not to show!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks, but he's the only rabbit I have...for now :) But do you know if illnesses from rabbits can be transferred to other animals such as dogs & cats?? That's what I would have to worry about :x

The members here are very knowledgeable. It may not be wise to place your bun in any situtaion which could endanger him or other animals in your home. Just not worth it IMO.

Latest posts

Back