First rabbit dinner! :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we had our first taste of rabbit Friday night. I put two rabbits (this is for 3 adults and 2 children) in the crock pot with a bunch of potatoes, a giant onion, and some seasonings. It came out a little on the bland side, but I restrained myself with the seasonings on purpose, since it was my first time cooking rabbit.

The first words out of Bunny-Wan Kenobi's mouth were, "It tastes like chicken!" :lol:

And, well, he was right... it was like chicken breast. I had part of a saddle. It was a little dry, but not bad. I think it was partly because of the long grain of the saddle muscles. I'm going to debone what we had left, and use it in something else. :)

"Does this mean we're farmers now?" asked Bunny-Wan.

"Sure does, now that the rabbits have made it to the table," answered Shay.

:)

How awsome! I love the kids' response to eating rabbit. :)

When we ate ours, my two year old kept saying he didn't want to eat a rabbit :D had him taste it, and the next time we were looking through a rabbit book (he LOVES animal pictures) I asked him "what's that?" he said "bunny, a nummy". :lol:

Glad you guys enjoyed your first meal...I know we did. :)

I've been finding that the meat will take ANY seasoning :) Great as BBQ, great as stir fry, awesome as crockpot with tons of onions and sage, and a lovely delicate flavor poached with white wine and thyme. :) The broth from the bones is TOTALLY AWESOME! tho. Unlike chicken broth, which tastes lightly chickeny...rabbit is just BURSTING with flavor!

You might try your leftover meat in a stir fry. Great way to use up leftovers. OR a casserole with more seasonings, bunch of veggies, onions, and maybe a gravy made from the bones/water/flour.

Congrats!
Our first rabbit from a CSA was stuffed with water chestnuts and onion, and wrapped in bacon! We will likely do bacon and sage this time- Ive got purple sage just going nuts in the garden.

I agree with rabbit broth being amazing. I keep forgetting to do this because chicken broth comes out so well whatever you do, but Ive read to add some apple cider vinegar to get more minerals out of the bones!

Thank you all! :D Ilovebunnies helped me pull the rest of the meat, and I warmed it with BBQ sauce for sandwiches. YUM!! :chef:

I still have a little left over for lunch tomorrow, and I have BROTH! :razz: Need to strain it.

Latest posts

Back