First Pair

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadedNightRabbitry

Reaction score
Totally unintentional...

I took in week old babies as rescues about a month and a half back. I hand raised them, and found a pet home for the doe. (Who would have been an awesome meat doe.) The pet home also took a nethie buck to be her friend. XD (And is getting him neutered.)

Well, I kept the buck of the pair. A sandy/chestnut bun who resembles a flemish baby more than anything. He's a 50/50 flemish cali cross. I figured he'd just be a pet, and I was about to built him a gigantic cage...

Today I got talked into visiting a livestock auction. I ended up buying a young NZ or florida white doe for 1.50.

So if I end up keeping her (and not just processing her. I wasn't suppose to come home with anything), I guess I have my first meat breeding pair. Not the most amazing cross ever, but for a really small side thing (and mostly to have something to auction at county fair next year) it shouldn't be too bad.

=O

So yaay.

Man oh man, I wish I was buying them for that sort of money!

My two does and buck cost fifty dollars and another fifty in gasoline to get them.

Sunbirds?

o.o;

Yardbirds in chehalis/centralia is where I went. XD Senior/older junior/intermediates went for $10 or so. Which is still no where near the price you'd buy them on craigslist/shows for, for that age. Totally worth it.

Although if you have the gas, enumclaw is suppose to be the most amazing livestock auction. Supposedly you're able to find pedigree'd buns for that same $1~10. Just because someone culled them from the herd.

Just be sure to keep them away from the rest of the herd for a month! Awesome, awesome deals though. And they had geese/chickens... Things ready for the dinner table for prices you can't even RAISE them for. XD

you're able to find pedigreed buns for that same $1~10.
Just because someone culled them from the herd.

The question is:
Why were they culled from the herd?
Possibly just because they have something much better,
or, were they culled due to illness?
It is always a bit risky to take someones culls.
Ah but sometimes you might get LUCKY!
Do you feel lucky? Always use a few grains of caution
when purchasing at an Auction!
Dennis, C.V.R.

Sunbirds/yardbirds.. same diff i think. depending on how old you are and how long you've been around. When I was a kid, it was Yardbirds. then they closed down, and it became Sunbirds...for the last couple decades. they still have the old Yardbirds sign and most local yokels call it yardbirds still.
BUT, i could be off.. I haven't been to the sunbirds in quite awhile! Maybe it's back to Yardbirds!

Wanna hitch a ride one day with me to Enumclaw?? :)

Haha! I'd love to hitch a ride to enumclaw sometime.

The majority of the time they've been culled for type/other stupid problems. My 4H leader found two awesome ND does (culled from a rather popular ND breeder) for two stupid, stupid reason. One had the start of a dewlap (not the most awesome thing to work with, but manageable). The other, a blue, was sunburned to the point of appearing to have white spots. A molt cured those white spots, and after a couple months of watching for sickness, we've started breeding them. (Since I have a little more trustable of bucks, we've been using mine.)

X3 So yeah. Good to be cautious... But you can still find awesome deals.

Latest posts

Back