First Buns....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to see if i can somehow attach pictures.

This is one of our first litters of Palominos. Just about ready to start exploring....

.018 - Copy.JPG

Yay... it seems to have worked. Please let me know if it is too large. We're on a slooowww dial-up so Everything takes longer...

Oh, they're adorable! :)

Dial-up is definitely slow. The picture isn't too large for me, but I have a wide screen with 1440x900 resolution. 900-1000 wide would also be plenty large enough, and allow you to have a smaller file size. When we had dial-up, I used to scale my pictures to 640px width, keeping the aspect ratio (IrfanView is a great free simple photo editor with this capability -- Image>Resize/Resample), and then I would open them in Microsoft Paint and save it (doing nothing else but making sure it is saving as a .jpg).

If you have a lot of pictures, it is tedious. But this proceedure regularly reduced photos from 1.5 MB to < 100 kB, with almost imperceptible loss in quality. You are losing quality, which is how it can drop the file size so drastically. So you may want to save your reduced photos separately from your originals, rather than overwriting them.

It does make a huge difference when uploading photos on dial-up! It took much less time to edit them like this and then upload them, than it took to upload them without editing. Once you get the procedure down, it takes about 30 seconds per photo. :)

I'll have to try that. I did make a copy of the original, then opened it in paint and resized it in half. The copy is the one that i was able to post. Earlier when i tried to post from the original... it was So Huge that it could not be uploaded. I'll have to try doing it at 25% size and see how that works. Thank You.

Random Rabbit":k41cf67p said:
I'll have to try that. I did make a copy of the original, then opened it in paint and resized it in half. The copy is the one that i was able to post. Earlier when i tried to post from the original... it was So Huge that it could not be uploaded. I'll have to try doing it at 25% size and see how that works. Thank You.

You're welcome! :) Sounds like you've already got the idea down. The only reason I mentioned IrfanView is that it is much easier to scale things to a certain number of pixels, while Paint does only percentages. Most of the time, though, you really don't need exact sizes, so just doing what you're doing in Paint is quite sufficient.

Your width is just under 1300px at 50% reduction, so 25% would take you to 650px. 40% would take it to 1040px, and 35% to 910px. :)

Back