first 3 to camp- we need another method!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garnetmoth

Reaction score
Well, we have joined the ranks.

it was harder than it looks, we went with bopping when cervical dislocation didnt work. :cry:

DH and I were very encouraging to each other and went as quickly as possible, but it was challenging. I am apparently pretty good at skinning, and LOVE skinning from hung-up by their rear legs. DH did the gutting on a cutting board once I had them skinned.

He bought a Gerber fixed blade larger knife- great balance and good heft for splitting joints, good control for guts. I used mostly the Buck (102 Woodsman) to skin and its SHARP!

DH is considering a Rabbit Zinger- Any personal reviews here? I understand a pellet gun is cheaper, but we live in a neighborhood and have a renter in the back. We processed at my Dads house because he has a nice utility sink in the basement- He has dogs on both sides and I can imagine being sure we could get them in a quiet outside area to use a projectile weapon.

It is a privilege to see this through to healthy food for us.

Can't advise you on the rabbit zinger one way or the other.

I've used a pellet gun to dispatch rabbits in the house in particularly cold weather, as well as to kill rats that we caught in a live trap in the mud room. Just put a piece of plywood under the box you use to contain the rabbit so that any pellet that exits the rabbit will not do damage. Put the rabbit in the box with something yummy to eat and shoot it. It makes less noise than a hard hand-clap and with a radio on in the background the neighbours would never notice.

I use pellet gun in the house too, the utility room to be exact. As Maggie says, it is quiet. I always butcher first thing in the morning and I haven't woken anyone up yet. If your concern is that rabbit being all jittery because of the dogs and might jump out of the bin, you might want to look into if there is anyone in your area that uses the broomstick method. I have never tried broomsticking because I don't have anyone to show me how. I've watched the excellent video Devon's Mom Lauren posted on this board a gazillion times and it certainly looks painless and quick for the rabbit; it also looks like it needs skill and experience. So I'd like to have an experienced person around for my first few. I'd love to learn it as a back up because right now my plan B is a hammer.
garnetmoth":1cuejf7g said:
It is a privilege to see this through to healthy food for us.
Very well said! I have used the word "honour" to describe butchering rabbits but "privilege" is a much more accurate.

Sorry it didn't go as smoothly as you wanted the first time, Garnetmoth! Hopefully you'll find a method that will work well for you.

I don't think I could broomstick or bop... I don't know that I could use the zinger either (probably would get myself with it, anyway). We're going to try the pellet gun with the bunny in a box of greens.

thanks all!

That does sound really nice Maggie- we'll have to try that next time. My dad has one somewhere but I was afraid of using it in the house. we'll get a few pieces of thick pressboard and put a box over that.

Marian- I think either word is appropriate- Ive got cousins that are absolutely horrified that we are raising livestock, and have no idea where food comes from.

Miss M- please let us know how it goes! the Zinger sounds a little dangerous if handled incorrectly also, but thats true of many things.

Thank you garnetmoth<br /><br />__________ Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 am __________<br /><br />And congrats on your doing! My recent experience was that it was both harder and easier than I had imagined...in different ways.

No problem!
Its a little humbling to realize most folks used to do this.....
My MIL is bemused by us going down this path- she grew up in Appalachia and they had livestock

Latest posts

Back