Fire Ants and Rabbit Tractors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and put my grow out rabbits on the ground. I have been wanting to forever because they love being outside.

IMG_20220510_170647200_HDR.jpg

Now I have a new issue, fire ants! Both places I put my tractor I got badly bitten by fire ants in close proximity. They don't seem to be bothering the rabbits and I can't find the nest. I don't want to leave them outside all night and find them killed by fire ants in the morning. Anyone else have suggestions or experience or ideas? Tomorrow I will hang a platform suspended from the roof so they can at least get off the ground if there's a problem.

IMG_20220510_171950761.jpg

I think I will put them back in their old cage tonight just in case.

- Liz

There are pest control sprays you could use and just keep the rabbits off the grass until you get a good rain. No one wants fire ants!

I suggest adding a ring of ant bait/poison around the outside of the tractor about 6in to a foot away so your rabbits don't touch it. They will take it back to the colony and kill the nest. But be careful if you are trying to move the tractor around. Fireants are almost impossible to irradicate completely, and if you plan to move the tractor around, you don't want your rabbits to end up on top of the poison. You might be able to surround yourself grassy area completely, but thats a lot of poison. You could try diatomaceous earth inside the perimeter of the tractor because I'm pretty sure its safe for all animals. Diatomaceous earth coats the exoskeleton of insects and basically compromises their exoskeleton and they end up dying. Not sure if they die of dehydration, or just the lack of proper exoskeletal protection. It doesn't do anything to mammals though, so it is safe to use inside and out around people and pets. It is definately not a quick fix with instant results though like poison would be. I am not sure which is cheaper. That would probably help you decide which approach to take.

Back