Field peas for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was interested too but what I came up with when searching was that peas are too gassy for rabbits and can cause gastric issues. I wanted to know because I wanted to try a pellet that was corn and soy free. The only one I found that I like the ingredients of was Modesto Milling, which had peas. Chewy had a 50% off sale so I got two 25 lb bags for the price of one to try. I will mix in just a little bit with their regular. I was feeding Modesto Milling gamebird starter to my quail who preferred it and it went up $20 a bag from $40 to $60 for 40 pounds. Ouch!
Yeah, no kidding on the prices!

The field peas should be fine if sprouted (or maybe just soaked) or cooked. Like soybeans, field peas need the enzymes denatured by some sort of cooking, (maybe) fermenting, or sprouting will also do it. I believe the soy is parched to make it suitable for feed, but while you could do it, it’s not really feasible at a home level imo—too much work. I bought some for my chickens once, and they wouldn’t touch them, but they were raw & I didn’t treat them in any way, because I didn’t know it was needed.

I like Rabbit Warren Man’s method of sprouting. Most ppl feeding sprouts/fodder seem to have complicated systems; I much prefer simple.

I’ve discovered that my rabbits go nuts over sunflower leaves and stalks. Plus, you get beautiful flowers to enjoy AND seeds.

Like soybeans, field peas need the enzymes denatured by some sort of cooking,
According to research (see the feedipedia link listed earlier), rabbits can handle field peas raw, up to 30% of the diet. I've fed raw split peas for decades with no issue. I do like the idea of sprouted feed, but if that isn't possible, field peas are still a potential protein source without roasting.

I was interested too but what I came up with when searching was that peas are too gassy for rabbits and can cause gastric issues. I wanted to know because I wanted to try a pellet that was corn and soy free. The only one I found that I like the ingredients of was Modesto Milling, which had peas. Chewy had a 50% off sale so I got two 25 lb bags for the price of one to try. I will mix in just a little bit with their regular. I was feeding Modesto Milling gamebird starter to my quail who preferred it and it went up $20 a bag from $40 to $60 for 40 pounds. Ouch!
I normally have only a few rabbits and have been using Modesto Milling organic pellets for several years with very good results. So far, never had a sick rabbit [sound of knocking on wood]. All healthy and robust, and molting is almost unnoticeable. It's certainly not the cheapest around but I prefer to pay a little more for pellets and not have to worry about vet bills. The best price I've found is from Azure Standard IF you live near a drop point. Forty pounds for $44.00, no tax unless you're in Oregon and about 8% shipping charge. Otherwise shipping costs almost double the price.

Has anyone tried the Nature's Best Organic Rabbit pellets. $18.99/25 pounds. I can get them shipped to my local Tractor Supply for free if I spend over $49. I sure wouldn't mind reducing costs if this is quality feed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on Modesto Milling, I really appreciate it! 😁

Edit: I have nine, and I'm on waiting lists for Silver Fox and Palomino breeding trios for next Spring, so it's way more OOP and I'm on a fixed income, sigh.

Last edited:
Back