Fertlility Flushing

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out why Marsha had a litter of 10 this time around, when in the past she had only had litters of 5. It hit me as I was feeding one morning--

First, rabbits are 'stimulation ovulators'-- the eggs are not released until after the buck has done his thing. The release of ova can be encouraged by manual stimulation by the rabbit owner I had done that, to help ensure both girls being receptive at the same time..

Second, as I was feeding, I suddenly remembered what some sheep and goat breeders do to ensure multiple births, or even singles--

the process is called 'flushing' and it involves making sure the female is VERY well nourished. Females of any species are more apt to reproduce well when there is ample food to support a pregnancy and the resulting offspring-- I had added a Senior Horse feed to the diets of my rabbits-- as it contains the antioxidants, yucca, etc, that so many like to feed their rabbits, but at a much lower cost than the extra special rabbit diets. So, by adding something 'extra' to the diet, I encouraged a higher ovulation rate. And, at the rebreeding earlier this week, Marsha was SO eager to breed, she was lifting before Percy could get a good mount going! Her 10 kits this time around- despite the larger litter size, were a lot larger than the kits in the previous litter.

So, I continue to feed the horse feed every day to the girls-- and the boys even get some as a treat- it does seem to improve the coat condition-must be the extra EFAs and Yucca!

It is called Seminole Wellness- Wellness Senior Mix. It would not do as a sole feed-- not enough fiber or tooth wearing capability. I am feeding about 1/4 cup a day for a 8 pound doe..

That was going to be my guess because of the herbs and such! I tried it for my horse and remember it smells really good. :) -Wendy

Frosted, can you explain "manual stimulation" that results in larger ovulation?

AnnClaire":1v4lmlpn said:
Frosted, can you explain "manual stimulation" that results in larger ovulation?

*blush* just what it sounds like--you very gently 'play' with the does private parts. It can be used to help ensure you have does that are equally receptive at the same time, so that they kindle at the same time-- With only two does, I DO want them to kindle together- as AR is not yet a proven mother-- and I see a lot of cases here where people are happy when they have a foster mother for larger litters or littlers of clueless first timers..

It does sound like a good idea. Maybe it will put mine "in the mood". I had a litter due for the 20th. Nothin'. Do you replace some of the rabbit pellets with the horse feed or add it extra?

I pretty much, at this point, free feed the pellets and hay, and measure out the horse feed. The protein level in the horse feed is 12%, so letting the rabbits pig out on that would severely alter the protein and fat ratios.. I looked up one of the ingredients in the horse feed, and learned something I found interesting--Stabilized Rice bran has a lot of nutrients not found in other seed coatings..

I have noticed, with the horse feed, the coats of the two Rex rabbits seem super fluffy-- the lop is very soft and silky, and Marsha, despite having pulled all that wool, and having it still come out by the handfull if I grab her, does not look at all short on coat--her last molt was very fast. The kits, at this point, seem to have some very dense coats, but they are also half rex...

Frosted Rabbits":1gm617tj said:
It is called Seminole Wellness- Wellness Senior Mix. It would not do as a sole feed-- not enough fiber or tooth wearing capability. I am feeding about 1/4 cup a day for a 8 pound doe..
I wondering if i can find this in canada... Our names are different here. I was wondering would you have the list of ingrend...so i can compare to others that i can get close to.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:00 am __________<br /><br />I think i found it... Is this what you are feeding
http://seminolefeed.com/seminole_wellne ... iorMix.pdf

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1l07o7ms said:
I wondering if i can find this in canada... Our names are different here. I was wondering would you have the list of ingrend...so i can compare to others that i can get close to.

__________ Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:00 am __________

I think i found it... Is this what you are feeding
http://seminolefeed.com/seminole_wellne ... iorMix.pdf

Absolutely correct and it smells so nicely of anise (licorice) that my moputh waters when I open the bag...the rabbits love it-- and are TOO eager to eat it above anything else-- hence the measuring..

Frosted - many, many, many thanks for explaining :p

Probably not something I am going to be doing, but I do have one doe that acts like she's not in the mood and she kindled a week ago and should be the harlot right now :cheesysmile:

Latest posts

Back