Feeding Carrots

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheShedAcres

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to meat rabbits and new to this forum. I have 5 NZW does and 2 NZW bucks, plus 2 pet rabbits. I tend to cut up 3 carrots into smaller sizes and take out to them on a daily basis. I am not giving whole carrots to each rabbit. Just a 1/3 of a carrot. Is it harmful to do this everyday? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!
Kelly

Hi, SheShedAcres! Carrots are a sugary root vegetable, so it is usually recommended to be fed as a treat. The main thing to watch for when feeding them is diarrhea and/or bloat, as rabbits can be sensitive to sugars. Making changes or increasing amounts of foods in their diet gradually is important. Diarrhea can kill rabbits pretty quickly. They also need lots of long-stem fiber available so their digestion doesn't slow down.

How much they could handle would probably also depend on the rabbit's main diet, i.e. what they are used to regularly eating.

Hi, SheShedAcres! Carrots are a sugary root vegetable, so it is usually recommended to be fed as a treat. The main thing to watch for when feeding them is diarrhea and/or bloat, as rabbits can be sensitive to sugars. Making changes or increasing amounts of foods in their diet gradually is important. Diarrhea can kill rabbits pretty quickly. They also need lots of long-stem fiber available so their digestion doesn't slow down.

How much they could handle would probably also depend on the rabbit's main diet, i.e. what they are used to regularly eating.
They are on measured pellets and unlimited hay. Carrots are giving as a mid-day snack, with the biggest piece being 2-3" long.

Latest posts

Back