Feed recommendations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighPockets

Reaction score
Newbie here, I'm on the verge of getting 2 giant flemish males. I'm raising them for manure. I have a thousand questions bit I'll start off slow. I'm looking for a high quality feed for them. I was considering Blue Seal. Thoughts? And I've been kinda of freaked out by this EC diease what precaution measures can you take? I dont want to infect my dog cats or me?

Last edited:
I've heard good things about blue seal but have not fed it myself. I have my flemish doe on manna sho and she does well on it.

Best thing to prevent e cuniculi transmission is to just practice good hygiene. Wash hands after handling rabbits, keep their enclosure clean, etc.

If you are really worried about it, vets can do blood tests and it can be treated with panacur if they come back positive. Most rabbits are asymptomatic.

I've heard good things about blue seal but have not fed it myself. I have my flemish doe on manna sho and she does well on it.

Best thing to prevent e cuniculi transmission is to just practice good hygiene. Wash hands after handling rabbits, keep their enclosure clean, etc.

If you are really worried about it, vets can do blood tests and it can be treated with panacur if they come back positive. Most rabbits are asymptomatic.
Thank you any other recommendations with the GF

IME flemish are pretty easy. They have super awesome temperaments. I refer to my girl as my puppy-rabbit. She will follow me around and beg for pats and attention. She loves to explore and is quite the jumper. If you are able to, providing some free range time for them (separately of course) would probably be much appreciated. Since they are so large even the biggest cages and hutches don't offer them a ton of room.

I allow mine to free feed as she is still growing and they aren't a breed that tends to over eat. I like to see some pellets leftover the next day. I offer unlimited hay and she gets a dinner of fresh foods. Just remember to start all fresh food slowly and build up the amounts to avoid GI problems.

IME flemish are pretty easy. They have super awesome temperaments. I refer to my girl as my puppy-rabbit. She will follow me around and beg for pats and attention. She loves to explore and is quite the jumper. If you are able to, providing some free range time for them (separately of course) would probably be much appreciated. Since they are so large even the biggest cages and hutches don't offer them a ton of room.

I allow mine to free feed as she is still growing and they aren't a breed that tends to over eat. I like to see some pellets leftover the next day. I offer unlimited hay and she gets a dinner of fresh foods. Just remember to start all fresh food slowly and build up the amounts to avoid GI problems.
I'm thinking of getting them a dog kennel with an attached run and then a penned in area with stumps and toys to have a exercise. I can wash the kennel down and can have heat/ac in the enclosed portion. If they are 2 males who are fixed they should be ok together right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210705-140756_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210705-140756_Chrome.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 7
Before you go to all this trouble, are you sure two rabbits will produce enough manure for your needs? When i see a kennel that size i start to think you have a couple of acres to fertilize.

Oh, no very small. I just want the rabbits to be comfortable to stretch out in. They wont be coming in the house. The flemish need about 4' to stand up in or lay out across. In addition I have a entire tribe of foxes that I want protection from. I can hose and disinfect these the kennel too and keep it temp controlled.

Latest posts

Back