feed only what you can grow

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
michaels4gardens":8wl47avs said:
mulberry leaves are good feed also, and have a lot of nutrition ,as a part of a diet, [I don't recomend any single item feed programs]
except for snails -[helix espersa]- snails do great on mulberry leaves as the only feed

I agree that if you can avoid single feed, it's for the best, but you can single feed mulberry, sweet potato vines, and a few other plants and still get decent grow-outs. You can also pollard or coppice mulberry for better ease of access to the leaves, and you can force the twigs mid-winter for fresh greens.

Does anyone know the answer on sprouted greens, like what we might use on salads? They're supposed to be really nutritious (for us), and I wonder if they might be a tasty snack for the buns. I think I have a china rose radish and an Indian mustard type sprout.

Madpiratebippy":1cidx1x9 said:
michaels4gardens":1cidx1x9 said:
mulberry leaves are good feed also, and have a lot of nutrition ,as a part of a diet, [I don't recomend any single item feed programs]
except for snails -[helix espersa]- snails do great on mulberry leaves as the only feed

I agree that if you can avoid single feed, it's for the best, but you can single feed mulberry, sweet potato vines, and a few other plants and still get decent grow-outs. You can also pollard or coppice mulberry for better ease of access to the leaves, and you can force the twigs mid-winter for fresh greens.

Mono-feed programs
I used to do feed testing for a feed company, -- "in my research" we got "OK" growth on mulberry leaves, and so-so- growth on sweetpotato folaige, -- the problems came when does were bred after being grown on those programs, -- There were obvious deficiencys in their diet.
and production was terrible. -and sweetpotato is very low in "long stem fiber"
This new idea promoting mono-feed diets, is just a re-hashing of old ideas, that did not work.
"we " should do a little nutrition research before we experiment on our animals, -- there are good reasons for the "working" feed programs of the past and present.

If you want to feed "like they did in the olden days" get some of the books that talk about working programs, like the Penguin press book mentioned a lot by me in these conversations.

__________ Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:38 am __________

Comet007":1cidx1x9 said:
Does anyone know the answer on sprouted greens, like what we might use on salads? They're supposed to be really nutritious (for us), and I wonder if they might be a tasty snack for the buns. I think I have a china rose radish and an Indian mustard type sprout.

As "a tasty snack", -those are very nutritious , as a part of a feed program, esp. if no other fresh green feeds are being fed. [but I add the same caution as above, - not as a mono-feed ] they lack the energy, and mineral necessary to maintain growth rates, and production capability.

michaels4gardens":2753sclv said:
Comet007":2753sclv said:

As "a tasty snack", -those are very nutritious , as a part of a feed program, esp. if no other fresh green feeds are being fed. [but I add the same caution as above, - not as a mono-feed ] they lack the energy, and mineral necessary to maintain growth rates, and production capability.

Thanks! Yep, there is no way at all that we would discontinue pellets at this time - I have just learned the value of a treat bribe with one of our does, and I need something that works on the others! Shaggy was meeting me at the front of the cage by day 3, but now he is just such a pet hog (immediately goes to a back corner and lays there until I pet him - only comes out of it to eat when he's sure I'm done petting him!) that I can't get him to come out of his corner at all!

That said, I also don't want to give them junk food lol.

Although new to rabbits (but a little less new at researching natural feeds), I'd add the old fashioned staple from British rabbitries, weeping willow leaves. They're apparently similar to alfalfa in terms of feed quality for rabbits. Tortured willow is the only one people sell near me, but apparently it's as good as weeping willow for fodder. I just love the idea that one plant can feed rabbits, be used to weave baskets and fences, and shade a whole house... (one day).

While perennials like willow, mulberry, lablab, alfalfa, clover and tagasaste get established, I'm also growing basic annuals such as kale, sunflower, chicory, sweet potato, pumpkin, amaranth and Jerusalem artichokes. These have been mentioned, I know.

There are also many useful wild (usually feral) weeds, which include honeysuckle (the sort deer eat), bulrushes, blue morning glory, grass, cobblers' pegs, dock, sow thistle, pigface, portulaca (pigweed), and of course grass.

Oh, and I've stuck field peas in anywhere I can... And broad beans (faba beans). I'd have to cook the beans, but they have similar protein profile to soy, without the GM horror.

Jen

I have fed a lot of willow leaves, as well as poplar , apple, plum, pear, maple,mulberry, both fresh, and as soon as they fall, [the fallen leaves loose value quickly] also sunflower, and lambsquarters,sometimes called goosefoot, [Chenopodium berlandieri , Chenopodium album ] and Cheese weed, [malva neglecta] the latter probably being the most nutrient dense.

My personal approach to feeding only what I can grow to my bunny is to learn the local edible weeds that are good for her. That way every time I'm cutting them back I'm also collecting the ones that I know are good for my pet and bringing them to her.

With this approach the only inputs from me are increasing my knowledge of the local wild edibles and harvesting them.

Well, We have about four acres total land, and we're already feeding our tiny rabbitry of two does and a buck only the greenery from that property, even without bothering to plant or cultivate very much specifically for the rabbits. Some is reject or over-mature garden greens that are already being grown for market, while the rest is mostly weeds (like grasses, plantain, nodeweed, galinsoga) or landscaping plants that we had already planted years ago and that turned out after the fact to make good rabbit fodder (especially cordyline, hibiscus, orchid tree). A few things, like small patches of various legumes and a patch of sweetpotato, have been planted or left deliberately for forage, and some things, like banana leaves or sweetpotato vines, are a byproduct of other farm enterprises. I plan to plant more fodder grasses, legumes, and mulberry soon for future use. Occasionally we collect things from the commons or friend's properties when out and about.

We're hoping to get some alfalfa pellets again soon to add to the rations, but more out of convenience than necessity (collecting fodder for two daily feedings is a bit of work, even when multiple people split the duty).

In addition to the greens, they get small amounts of richer foods, usually chopped sugar cane, sometimes bananas, carrots or beets. This is all grown on the property as well.

The only thing we're bringing in is sunflower seeds and rolled oats that we get wholesale, which comprise a small portion of their morning feeding. If forced to do without these, I would try to grow a bit of sorghum, corn, or sunflower seed to replace it, as some kind of grain seems really beneficial, especially for the pregnant and nursing does. We don't need to use very much, so it ought to be very feasible.

Feeding rabbits with few resources is not that hard, as livestock go, which explains much of the appeal. Weeds, grass, and other things that grow themselves can go a long way, and other landscape-type things that require very little input can go even further.

Of course, the whole concept of winter feeding is well beyond my experience, so I can't offer much there... :)

Back