Feed Issues

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonkitten

Reaction score
For those who don't remember, I had some strange behavior (not eating) and deaths in my rabbits back in May. The post describing the incident is here: http://rabbittalk.com/lucky-save-t944.html

About 3 weeks ago, the exact same thing began to happen again -- adult rabbits refusing to touch their pellets, but would eat hay and oats, juniors eating well, but bloating. After about 4 days, I checked the label on the bags and the new batch of feed that I purchased on July 23 was dated "April 29". That is the EXACT same batch that I was feeding in May during the initial problem. I returned the remaining 8 bags and went to a new supplier for feed. The adult rabbits began to eat again, 2 of the juniors recovered and all seems well.

So was the problem the feed? Seems too much of a coincidence to me to be otherwise, but one customer complaint does not do much, so I'll probably never know for sure. In any case, I had been having doubts about the consistency of this feed for several months. Some batches have multi coloured pellets, some have big clumps of powder, etc.

I would LOVE to switch to a non-pelleted diet, but storing nine months worth of hay is just not feasible at this location. I've only found one place to buy a few bales at a time and the quality of the hay there really sucks. The last 3 bales I bought were such garbage that I put them directly on the compost pile -- not even good enough for my chickens! :cry:

While talking over my feed woes with my new supplier (Grandview) we discussed the possiblity of getting a custom milled GMO-free/Identity Preserved Grain feed. As I'm sure most of you know, one of the ingredients in our corn-free rabbit pellets is GMO soybeans. This wouldn't be a true "organic" feed, but one milled at a separate location where no GMO feeds are stored/milled. I haven't got a price per bag yet, but it will be a couple of dollars over what I'm paying now and a couple of dollars less than the big name premium brands. Hopefully if the rabbits will EAT the feed, breed better, and have less dietary issues, it will be worth the extra cost. Not only that, but I do eat rabbit meat at least 2 meals a week, and I will feel even better about our steroid-free, antibiotic-free meat knowing that it is also GMO grain free.

If anyone in southern Ontario is also interested in a GMO-free rabbit pellet, let me know. I'll post more info when I have it.

Moonkitten, I hope you find enough people interested to make your plan feasible.

Another possibility might be to deal with Homestead Organics in Berwick, ON. They distribute throughout Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada and northern NY state. I've used their chicken feed in the past and was very pleased with it, but it is kind of expensive. Anyhow, I thought I'd post the link in case you or other members are interested.

http://users.xplornet.com/~tmanley/

MaggieJ":2ua2jnmk said:
Another possibility might be to deal with Homestead Organics in Berwick, ON.

Thanks Maggie. HO was my first choice and I've been trying to make it work for a while now. But the distributors that I've spoken too only get random shipments at less than one every 6 months. And no one carries the rabbit feed, so I'd need to order at least a 6 month supply and store it somewhere. Also, their rabbit feed is a grain portion with no alfalfa content -- roughage is supposed to be fed separately, so I'm back to trying to find a way to store 6-9 months worth of grain from HO plus alfalfa. :(

What about going with the grains, and then just buying alfalfa pellets? Instead of going to the full grains and alfalfa hay thing? The pellets are just compressed alfalfa leaf. (the high protein part). Or the alfalfa cubes they have in the horse supply areas. Down here (U.S.) they have to be 100% alfalfa, no additives, I believe. Probably the same in Canada?

Anntann":37c9dyq2 said:
What about going with the grains, and then just buying alfalfa pellets?

If I was close enough to Homestead Organics to pick up grains every month, I'd definitely do that. But without a consistent supply, I'd need to purchase and mix individual bags of grain myself, assuming I could find and afford a local supply of organic grain.

I could do that -- and will if this new GMO-free pellet doesn't work out -- but I've already asked the feed supplier to order a batch once the details/ingredients are finalized, so I guess I owe it to him to give it a try.

Moonkitten, there may be members in your general area that do not raise rabbits for meat and who may miss this thread. You might want to post your inquiry in the Rabbit Care forum as well.

I guess I am a bit confused. The way it sounds is that a certain brand of pellets made in a certain month are bad. From the description of the pellets, in general, it would seem to be made by a company with no integrity in their milling. Er....Um... I don't know quite how that got to the point of buying "organic" feed. The problem with the original feed is likely something moldy or some bad animal fat in it. That can be cured by a decent manufacturer. "Organic" is great, but such a feed could be moldy or have animal fat in it also, and cause the same problem just as easily. And if you start keeping any kind of pelleted feed for over a couple of month it is likely to deteriorate or get moldy on its own after you purchase it.

One can get poor brands of feed anywhere. We have one that is manufactured locally, a big name brand in this state, and it is the poorest excuse for a feed that I have ever seen. I would hesitate to put it on my garden for compost. Still, there are at least 2 good brands available and a couple of more that are probably OK, according to which feed store I am willing to travel to. Feeding grains/alfalfa and supplements, is great, but it is not really that easy to do. I would say it would be extremely difficult if one did not have a source of good alfalfa (or at least clover) hay around.

avdpas77":277xvs7f said:
I guess I am a bit confused. The way it sounds is that a certain brand of pellets made in a certain month are bad.

Well, it was a sort of "last straw" thing. I've been using this particular brand of pellets for about 3 years and I was quite happy with the quality up to about the last 6 months or so. I know that a lot of people use this feed with good results including several large rabbitries, so I'm sure the feed is adequate. But combined with all the "problem feed" posts that have been cropping up on the HT and Meatrabbits groups, it makes me wonder just how much quality control is in any pellet.

My preference would be to go pellet-free. I have yet to see one of those anguished "all my juniors are dying" posts from a pellet-free rabbit breeder. With the number of rabbits that I have and the limited dry storage space, going pellet-free would be a considerable undertaking. My next choice is a pellet made in a different mill. Hopefully one where they take a bit more care with the mixing process. Because the main purpose in raising rabbit for me is for my own table, my personal preference in a feed would be organic. All other meat and produce that we consume is organic or from our own garden which is pesticide free heritage vegetables. So continuing that theme, if I can get an organic rabbit feed, I would do so. Since I can't seem to find one, a GMO-free pellet is next-best thing.

Does that make the progression from frustration with my current feed to a GMO-free pellet a little easier to follow?

Most GMO grains (corn) are for the purpose of being pest resistant so herbicides and pesticides are not needed. They are altered to kill off any corn borers that invade the crop so it doesn't have to be sprayed. The controversy is because it is fairly new and not a lot is known about the long term. So it is possible that GMO also might mean organic as well. I am totally in the dark as to what way to think on this myself. We all practice genetic modification when we choose what animals we breed in order to get something better or what we want/need. The gmo grain has been taken a step further and the existing dna in the seed is altered in the lab. I would assume for the general good and to increase yields. Now I know the terms altered and lab together sound like a something out of Frankenstein but who knows? Truth can be stranger than fiction lol :x

Latest posts

Back