Fat or genetics?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continuing the saga, I don't know if Zap is doing very well. I'm seeing small symptoms. Not sure it I'm overthinking this or not. But he is my only buck right now. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm wondering if I want such a problematic fellow passing his genes down into our herd. Yet at the same time, I don't know if he is sick or just has a big personality.

-He is lowering one ear down to the side. But he could also just be listening to me! He's done this for quite a while. I thought it was just a thing he does. I think it is becoming more pronounced.

-didn't really eat his hay or pellets much or touch his water today hardly at all. But all the other rabbits didn't eat much today either.

-He let me pet his head two days in a row...very unusual! Yet nipped me today as well.

- He did this move I've never seen before. Makes me think something is wrong with his back legs. Stretching out 2 body legnsthen slowly moving back feet to catch up.

Here are some things I would think through about him:

Does he have any sign of ear mites deep in his ear? It can be crusty brown stuff or just look like ear wax. Often you will need a flashlight to be sure.

Sometimes my Rex will let both ears spread apart and look funny when they are relaxing. Sometimes it is just one ear sliding down the side of their heads a little, too. Does he move it back to normal (flat on his head with his other ear or upright) when he moves around, when he hears something interesting and wants to listen, when you try to pet him; or is it always like that?

If you offer him a favorite treat, does he eat it? Are his droppings normal?

Was he just stretching, or was he seeming to have trouble? If it looked like a dog stretching after a long nap, that is probably normal behavior. Rabbits do a long stretch similar to dogs to stretch their back legs particularly. I think it is pretty cute, especially when they yawn at the same time!

I will check his ears and treat for mites. Thanks!
He didn't droop his ears at all that I saw today. The ears go into a solid v shape position listening and attentive. He will bearly tolerate his ears laying back for a split second during petting.
Yes, and his droppings look good. Thank you for the stretching info. I let him out to run around in a slightly larger pen today to see how he was moving. Nothing wrong with his legs. He did a few zoomes and a binky or two. Looks in fine shape today.
It was cold last night. So I refilled their water bowls and gave an extra ounce of food at 10p.m. I think they drink roughly one cup of water per bunny per day. Maybe that made a difference in him feeling better today.

Rex rabbits are usually 7 to 10 pounds, so I would say he is over weight. Maybe try to give him less treats and hay and more pellets (As in replace some of it, not give him even more food)
Try and get him out to exercise or run around
My reaction to an overweight rabbit is MORE hay and LESS pellets. Is that what you meant? And exercise, as you mentioned. I let an overweight rabbit run around the rabbitry on the floor. It works. But just like with a 3 year old child, I have to try and guess what the rabbit will get into. Which is everything.

Back