Facial abscess on 9 year old Bun... Advice needed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjosea101

Reaction score
Hello all!!!

I have been a 9-year-old stray bun that I found 6 years ago. He developed an abscess on his face. Took him to the vet twice. Expensive antibiotics and pain meds twice. He is out of his antibiotics and I really can't afford any more vet visits as my care credit is now maxed on him. He has a hole in his face that I have been flushing the best I can as the vet instructed. I am not able to get any more pus out. I still feel the capsule and it is still inflamed. The Swelling is much better but I know it will fill back up and feel new ones forming under the skin. Surgery is not an option as the vet said his age makes it too risky. I have been trying to find his meds cheaper but have been unsuccessful. What can I do at home to treat it? I have read to use heat compress with epson salts, read about a product called PRID but afraid he will get it on his paws and don't know if ingested it would be bad. Read about a numbing agent that helps with the pain as you work on them. Any advice on any of these.

Attachments

• 284138214_5481496191862891_9098925546784411612_n.jpg
    284138214_5481496191862891_9098925546784411612_n.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 284171873_5481443851868125_6825984663650822718_n.jpg
    284171873_5481443851868125_6825984663650822718_n.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 3
One moment, please... I also found this but don't know if this is an ok thing to try. I don't know if I could lance it myself.
Just a few comments:

Make sure you continue to treat for infection. Echinacea is safe for rabbits. I would consider getting some tincture. Depending where you get it, it should be cheaper than vet meds. Add 10 to 20 drops to pellets. If you know how much water your rabbit goes through in a day, you could add it to his water. More on this herb below. The abscess can present again quickly if antibiotics do not continue.

The sterilization technique for the razor knife is insufficient. Do this instead: Submerge the blade in bleach (full strength) for 3 seconds. Wipe, then submerge in hydrogen peroxide for 10 seconds. Dwell time is extremely important. Better yet, why not just buy a SCALPEL?

It is easy to make a ointment to speed the healing up. Be sure that you have drained the abscess. Note: There are UNdrainable abscesses too!
Ingredients:
1) Coconut Oil or Vegelatum 8 oz or so​
2) 5 to 8 Fresh Comfrey leaves, 1/2 oz dried​
3) 80 to 100 drops echinacea tincture​
Method:
Heat coconut oil until fully melted, then raise it slowly to 180F​
Chop the comfrey leaves very finely then add to the hot oil.​
Let steep for 15 minutes​
remove from heat and strain​
Allow to cool just until it begins to go solid again.​
Add the echinacea tincture and stir thoroughly.​

Apply topically to the wound as you would any ointment. Should the rabbit lick it, there is no danger. All the ingredients are indigestible. Note: This is terrific for humans too! I use it to rapidly heal all skin wounds. Be careful to make sure the wound is completely debrided/ cleaned. This is so effective that debris can get sealed in! I believe that it also helps to heal bruises, but I have yet to properly test the hypothesis.

Draining an abscess on a rabbit isn't quite the same as on a human. The 'fluid' in a rabbit abscess is about the consistency of toothpaste, nothing 'fluid' to it at all. Which is why it has to be completely opened up to get cleaned. Which is why the scalpel. If I had a rabbit with an abscess, after it was cleaned, the bun would be getting penicillin from the feed store. They sell it at the feed store for cows and it's a pretty big bottle for not a whole lot of money.

Latest posts

Back