Eye infection, what to do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxmarblebuns

Reaction score
My Rex, Koi, appears to have an eye infection. It popped up yesterday there was a little white good and he didn’t want to open it/it seemed slightly swollen. Today his lower eyelid seems more swollen but it isn’t that much worse. My mom said her dad used to use Neosporin, so I did once yesterday and again today (I looked it up and verified it is safe.)
What other things can I do?
I know I could do chamomile/tea compresses, but the only chamomile I have atm has mint in it.

You can skip this part: I’m kinda pissed/sad about this. This is his first year in show and my last, at county fair he was mid molt and had a bold patch on his thigh. He was finally holding his coat and wasn’t bold (he looks really, really nice right now) and now this 😞

Last edited:
Maybe try and wipe it with a cotton wipe I think its called, wet with warm/hot water
They kind of look like this
green-fibres-resuable-cotton-rounds4_1024x1024.jpg

I've had a fair bit of experience with gunky eyes, I wrote quite a reply on this other post - Baby's eye won't open all the way

Also dose him with 1-2 ml Colloidal silver once daily to help him fight any infection. Colloidal silver and saline are 2 very underrated old remedies that work so well that seem to have been forgotten about.

Update: I treated the eye infection and it cleared up around the 18th However, he now has entropion. I’m guessing it is a result of swelling from the infection, like it got too swollen and rolled under. He may also have a cataract from the irritation, but it’s hard to tell. He doesn’t seem to be in pain/effected by it so I’m not too concerned. When researching it more it seem this ailment sadly does not have a home remedy. But If anyone has any tips or trick that I haven’t found yet feel free to share them.

Also, I know most people cull for this, but if anyone has had it fixed could you give an estimation of how much it may cost please. Koi is a pet and I love him dearly. huh, never though I’d be one of those “house rabbit” people, yet here we are.

Attachments

• E0B95F27-2814-45BD-8DFE-B831C9390278.jpeg
    E0B95F27-2814-45BD-8DFE-B831C9390278.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • E40E789D-F957-4ED3-8ECF-311EC2B684AD.jpeg
    E40E789D-F957-4ED3-8ECF-311EC2B684AD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back