EXTUDED FEED VS PELLET FEED

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am feeding 18 percent. Lately when i open the bags up. I have been seeing large whole kernal of corn. NOw i know it will not hurt the rabbits but i am concerned to how much corn is in this product. SO I called the feed store to get the ingred for me on this feed. I am waiting for a phone call back,

Now i have found a food that i am thinking of switching to. It is a extruded feed.
It is 17 percent. Suppose to be easier on there gut and has papaya in it. Of course it cost more money. DOes any one have this feed. ?

I was curious about "extruded feed" so I looked it up on the web. The description from the extension service is: "Extruded feeds are ground feeds that are forced through a die under pressure and steam heat."

This is all very wonderful.... and happens to be the exact description of "pelletized feed"

According to the Extension Service, extruded feed is only about half as dense as pelleted feed, so they must use less pressure, and perhaps a different amount of moisture or steam when it is made. They say that this type of feed is being promoted by horse feed manufactures in general (Blue Seal in particular) as being easier to digest. I don't know one way or the other if that is true... but if one switched to such a feed they would need to feed the same amount by weight that they did with there regular pelleted feed.

I guess I am skeptical that this is a way to sell a customer less for the same price... sort of like switching to 40 lb bags instead of 50 for "greater convenience" Although the price didn't go down 20%.

Dog kibble is an extruded feed (usually) as are some cereals such as Froot Loops, Captain Crunch, etc. The food contains little pockets of air.

I think when i get down in my bags. I am going over to this feed and see how it goes. I have the ingredients list.. I am still waiting on the ingredients that i feed them now and go from there.

I guess now one here feeds it or have used it in the pass. It has been out for a while now.<br /><br />__________ Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:25 pm __________<br /><br />

I raise meat & show rabbits and am now just switching to Blue Seal Home Fresh 17. If you read the label, the ingredients are some of the best out there (pre-biotics, pro-biotics, yucca, etc.) Rabbits digestion systems are almost exactly the same as horses. As stated by Avdpas77, about the horse industry changing to such production of horse feeds, it stand to reason that it would most likely benefit the rabbit also. Just the ingredients alone in the Home Fresh, would be one reason to switch to this feed, but I was intrigued by the extrusion aspect also. Other breeders I spoke to also thought the extrusion process made more sense. The aspect of less feed waste by rabbits biting irregular size/length pellets off as they're eating would help curb feed costs. Considering the fact that rabbits in the wild would graze, chew and swallow down loose materials, where when fed Very Compacted feed pellets, it would stand to reason that it would be harder to digest.
I have also found that there is less dust/fines in the HF feed also. I'm very hopeful about this food. :)

As far as Mary Ann's Rabbity comment about finding whole pieces of corn in the feed (when there shouldn't be any corn in the food). Whole corn is used to clean out the pelletizing machines between batches.

I raise meat & show rabbits and am now just switching to Blue Seal Home Fresh 17. If you read the label, the ingredients are some of the best out there (pre-biotics, pro-biotics, yucca, etc.) Rabbits digestion systems are almost exactly the same as horses. As stated by Avdpas77, about the horse industry changing to such production of horse feeds, it stand to reason that it would most likely benefit the rabbit also. Just the ingredients alone in the Home Fresh, would be one reason to switch to this feed, but I was intrigued by the extrusion aspect also. Other breeders I spoke to also thought the extrusion process made more sense. The aspect of less feed waste by rabbits biting irregular size/length pellets off as they're eating would help curb feed costs. Considering the fact that rabbits in the wild would graze, chew and swallow down loose materials, where when fed Very Compacted feed pellets, it would stand to reason that it would be harder to digest.
I have also found that there is less dust/fines in the HF feed also. I'm very hopeful about this food. :)

As far as Mary Ann's Rabbity comment about finding whole pieces of corn in the feed (when there shouldn't be any corn in the food). Whole corn is used to clean out the pelletizing machines between batches.
I am feeding 18 percent. Lately when i open the bags up. I have been seeing large whole kernal of corn. NOw i know it will not hurt the rabbits but i am concerned to how much corn is in this product. SO I called the feed store to get the ingred for me on this feed. I am waiting for a phone call back,

Now i have found a food that i am thinking of switching to. It is a extruded feed.
It is 17 percent. Suppose to be easier on there gut and has papaya in it. Of course it cost more money. DOes any one have this feed. ?
I switched to Home Fresh (extruded) Hutch Deluxe 17% last November. To begin, you still get a full 50 pounds when you buy a 50-pound bag. I used to feed Manna Pro Pro (16%) and Manna Pro Gro (18%). I always transfer my feed from the bags to food grade lidded 5-gallon buckets from Tractor Supply. The 50-pound bags of Manna Pro filled two 5-gallon buckets; the 50-pound bag of Home Fresh fills three 5-gallon buckets. Therefore, even though extruded is not as dense a pellet as the Manna Pro pellets, the weight per 50-pound bags is 50 pounds.... volume is greater for Home Fresh because the pellets are not pressured together into a tighter, more dense piece.

As I said before, I switched last November, and I have noted changes in my herd with the new Home Fresh food. First, I feed the Home Fresh 17% to my entire herd, regardless of grow-outs, working does, or those dang spoiled bucks. Before Home Fresh, I had the hassle of feeding Manna Pro Pro 16% to bucks and non-working does. Grow-outs and working does got Manna Pro Gro 18%. This is a great way to feed, but not so great if you need help from others who then must be educated as to which rabbit gets what, etc etc. It was a headache, especially with does going in and out of work. It is much easier to manage the food for my herd using 17% for everyone than it was 16 and 18 percent. 17% seems to do a good job taking care of the needs of the entire herd.

While Home Fresh 17% does a great job feeding my entire herd, here is what I noticed when I fed them the same quantity, by weight, as I had fed them their Manna Pro feed: ALL OF MY BREEDERS became fat! Overweight does give smaller litters, to none at all. NOT GOOD! So why did this happen when they were being fed the same amount of food by weight? My conclusion is because the extruded pellet is MUSH EASIER for the rabbit to digest. The less dense pellet provides the rabbits with greater access to the nutrients within each pellet.

Correcting the weight gain was an easy matter. I simply pulled my overweight girls and boys off pellet feed and fed straight hay until the ideal weights were once again achieved and then I slowly reintroduced the pellets to their diets, but now I feed FAR LESS than I fed before. I make sure they run out of pellets each day (only bucks and non-working does, that is) and that they always have access to hay to give them nibble feed between pellet feedings (NOTE: I never feed hay to any animal who has not yet achieved senior weight).

This has worked great. Home Fresh, while a little more expensive, is actually less expensive to feed because the animals need less per meal due to the extruded, easier to digest, pellet. As for grow-outs and working does, I never allow grow-outs to run out of pellets and Home Fresh has very clear instructions to follow on the back of their bags for working does. My recommendation is to follow their feeding instructions. I did not at first, and this is why my animals got fat. They were being overfed quality feed! :)

Last edited:
I switched to Home Fresh (extruded) Hutch Deluxe 17% last November. To begin, you still get a full 50 pounds when you buy a 50-pound bag. I used to feed Manna Pro Pro (16%) and Manna Pro Gro (18%). I always transfer my feed from the bags to food grade lidded 5-gallon buckets from Tractor Supply. The 50-pound bags of Manna Pro filled two 5-gallon buckets; the 50-pound bag of Home Fresh fills three 5-gallon buckets. Therefore, even though extruded is not as dense a pellet as the Manna Pro pellets, the weight per 50-pound bags is 50 pounds.... volume is greater for Home Fresh because the pellets are not pressured together into a tighter, more dense piece.

As I said before, I switched last November, and I have noted changes in my herd with the new Home Fresh food. First, I feed the Home Fresh 17% to my entire herd, regardless of grow-outs, working does, or those dang spoiled bucks. Before Home Fresh, I had the hassle of feeding Manna Pro Pro 16% to bucks and non-working does. Grow-outs and working does got Manna Pro Gro 18%. This is a great way to feed, but not so great if you need help from others who then must be educated as to which rabbit gets what, etc etc. It was a headache, especially with does going in and out of work. It is much easier to manage the food for my herd using 17% for everyone than it was 16 and 18 percent. 17% seems to do a good job taking care of the needs of the entire herd.

While Home Fresh 17% does a great job feeding my entire herd, here is what I noticed when I fed them the same quantity, by weight, as I had fed them their Manna Pro feed: ALL OF MY BREEDERS became fat! Overweight does give smaller litters, to none at all. NOT GOOD! So why did this happen when they were being fed the same amount of food by weight? My conclusion is because the extruded pellet is MUSH EASIER for the rabbit to digest. The less dense pellet provides the rabbits with greater access to the nutrients within each pellet.

Correcting the weight gain was an easy matter. I simply pulled my overweight girls and boys off pellet feed and fed straight hay until the ideal weights were once again achieved and then I slowly reintroduced the pellets to their diets, but now I feed FAR LESS than I fed before. I make sure they run out of pellets each day (only bucks and non-working does, that is) and that they always have access to hay to give them nibble feed between pellet feedings (NOTE: I never feed hay to any animal who has not yet achieved senior weight).

This has worked great. Home Fresh, while a little more expensive, is actually less expensive to feed because the animals need less per meal due to the extruded, easier to digest, pellet. As for grow-outs and working does, I never allow grow-outs to run out of pellets and Home Fresh has very clear instructions to follow on the back of their bags for working does. My recommendation is to follow their feeding instructions. I did not at first, and this is why my animals got fat. They were being overfed quality feed! :)
"My conclusion is because the extruded pellet is MUSH EASIER for the rabbit to digest. The less dense pellet provides the rabbits with greater access to the nutrients within each pellet. "(Kelley Bee). PS your info above was great!

I've been doing some research on the extruded feeds (almost exclusively horses, not much info as far as rabbits) and most articles state that the process of extrusion - high pressure and heat for short period of time ( as compared to pellet process), causes the proteins and starches to break down, much more so than a pellet, helping increase digestion and eliminate fore gut/hind gut issues. Also, they state increases of digestibility/absorbtion of nutrients by 30% plus.
So that is where you'd get the excess weight gain. Which, if you need less to keep your rabbit at peak condition,
$$$ savings for you/us! :)

"My conclusion is because the extruded pellet is MUSH EASIER for the rabbit to digest. The less dense pellet provides the rabbits with greater access to the nutrients within each pellet. "(Kelley Bee). PS your info above was great!

I've been doing some research on the extruded feeds (almost exclusively horses, not much info as far as rabbits) and most articles state that the process of extrusion - high pressure and heat for short period of time ( as compared to pellet process), causes the proteins and starches to break down, much more so than a pellet, helping increase digestion and eliminate fore gut/hind gut issues. Also, they state increases of digestibility/absorbtion of nutrients by 30% plus.
So that is where you'd get the excess weight gain. Which, if you need less to keep your rabbit at peak condition,
$$$ savings for you/us! :)
Yes, this is what I am finding! No need for as much pellets and $$ savings in feed. I do make sure all of my breeders always have grass hay so they have something to nibble on when they run out of pellets. Not the grow-outs, tho. I consider grass hay (any hay other than alfalfa) as diet food, so I never allow my growouts to run out of pellets and I never give them (nor any animal under senior weight) grass hay.

Latest posts

Back