Exterior nestboxes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been trying to buy more of the same baskets, but they're out of stock all this time!
Had to buy a new type, should arrive today and I'll be making tops for them.

It's at door level.
I'll have to hang it an inch higher in the future, to give more clearance for the poop on the trays.

New version I had to buy. Open front will be covered by the flashing.
Screenshot_20220928-152008_Chrome.jpg

Hung at door level. Mom drops in on left & kits are over on right-
20220928_180526.jpg

If you add older orphans, you'll have to add wire to stop them climbing out-
20220928_180539.jpg

First nest was cardboard lined. Others are metal flashing lined on sides & cardboard bottom.
None of the baskets have small enough mesh to not line it. But these baskets will out live the cages.
20220927_160540.jpg

Good job thinking through the project. As well as sharing so the rest of us will be able to use your ideas with our own rabbits as well. I've found wire bottomed nest boxes stay nicer than solid bottomed ones when the kits are about two to three weeks old. A solid bottomed nest box can get pretty damp at that time and the wire bottomed ones work better.

Is the nest below the floor level so little ones can fall back in if they get out?
Hooked at door level, so no.

So, I really like your set up idea on this~! I have a 6 hole stacker cage - if I get exterior nest boxes I wouldn't have to move them.... Im also a little on the lazy side when it comes to nest boxes... I use 5 gallon plastic tubs with half of the lid cut off and a door cut part of the side down (this is for mini lops and it works great) - Zip tied to the side and bottom of a cage. Lined with cardboard. It works great if you ever have to shelve kits...
I just close off the doorway if I need to keep mom out. Nice when doe is excessively protective! No playing chicken trying to grab nest and pull it out before mom nails you. 😅
20220924_135402.jpg

I just close off the doorway if I need to keep mom out. Nice when doe is excessively protective! No playing chicken trying to grab nest and pull it out before mom nails you. 😅
View attachment 31800
Im going to come up with something like this for my mini lops and see how it goes... I also have french lops and thats a whole different story, this would never hold up to them.

It's 2.5in wider and 1/2" taller than the other 3, that's why it seems so huge to me.
Started lining with flashing. Will bend down edge to not be sharp.
20221001_112143.jpg

It's 2.5in wider and 1/2" taller than the other 3, that's why it seems so huge to me.
Started lining with flashing. Will bend down edge to not be sharp.
View attachment 31815
How did you fold the edges of the metal? It’s a great size. Amazing how much more room a couple of inches gives them for space.

Fantastic idea. No way I can do in my present set up but if I ever set up again...
Have a friend who did the exterior next box ala The Rabbitry Center where the rabbit runs down vent tubing into an insulated plastic container and he loves it.

Fantastic idea. No way I can do in my present set up but if I ever set up again...
Have a friend who did the exterior next box ala The Rabbitry Center where the rabbit runs down vent tubing into an insulated plastic container and he loves it.
I love his idea and I could do it with my mini lops for sure. I'm creeping around trying to find ideas for my French lops that are 12-15lbs. 🤣 any thoughts anyone?

Moved the stackers & redid the nests to not be in a row above the next. Couldn't reach them before. Lol, an obvious placement failure that I overlooked.
The middle one, nest will probably be removed in a week or so. Other two are just a week old.
20221012_180921.jpg

Back